Latest Taxonomic Changes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Thought you guys would find this interesting (I got the letter from Julian Shaw, Orchid Registrar at the RHS at Kew Gardens). The most interesting changes are that the species Neofinetia falcata is now considered Vanda falcata, The genus Ascocentrum is now also considered Vanda, Sedirea Japonica, is now considerered Phalaenopsis japonica, and that Doritis and Kingidium are now considered Phalaenopsis, so no more Doritaenopsis hybrids.... The only good change in my opinion is the last one!

Orchid Hybrid Registration Advisory Group News Release May 2013

At a meeting of the Royal Horticultural Society’s Orchid Hybrid Registration Group (OHRAG) in London on 22nd May, the proposed nomenclatural changes in the Vandeae were discussed. The Group were privileged to receive seminar presentations by André Schuiteman and Lauren Gardiner, both from the Kew Herbarium, on their research into the taxonomy of the Vandeae. A full account is due to be published in volume 6 of Genera Orchidacearum which is scheduled for publication in February 2014, and is the final volume of the series.
Following discussion, the members of the Advisory Group unanimously recommended adoption of the following changes in the Hybrid Register immediately.

Vanda is to be expanded to include: Ascocentropsis, Ascocentrum, Christensonia, Eparmatostigma, Euanthe, Neofinetia and Trudelia.
Aerides flabellata has been transferred to Vanda.
Papilionanthe is to be accepted as distinct from Vanda.

Arachnis to include: Armodorum and Esmeralda

Gastrochilus to include: Haraella

Holcoglossum to include: Ascolabium and Penkimia.

Phalaenopsis to include: Doritis, Kingidium, Lesliea, Nothodoritis, Ornithochilus and Sedirea.

Renanthera to include: Ascoglossum, Porphyrodesme, and Renantherella

Robiquetia to include: Abdominea, Malleola, India, Megalotus and Samarorchis.

Trichoglottis to include: Ceratochilus, Staurochilus and Ventricularia.

In the past it has been the custom to await publication of the relevant volume of Genera Orchidacearum and wait for six months to allow discussion, before implementing any nomenclatural changes. On this occasion however, it seemed appropriate for implementation to proceed due to the uncontroversial nature of the changes, and in order to have all the changes in place before data is extracted from the register to prepare the forthcoming Sanders List Addendum. It is hoped this will prevent unnecessary delay in publication of the Addendum. In addition, Doritis and x Doritaenopsis have already been moved into Phalaenopsis.

Some of the new names and combinations required have already been published in this and the previous issue of the Orchid Review Supplement, and in Phytotaxa 71: 42–47 (13 Nov. 2012) and Phytotaxa 61: 47–54 (6 Aug. 2012).

None of them are valid in my opinion, and never will be. Bunch of snot nosed kids that just got a degree that are trying to make a name for themselves. The biggest use of taxonomy is field ID, gene studies and chromosome counts are worthless for use in the field...

Sorry,
but I will keep the old names. Due to the 'uncontroversial nature of my eye'!

I even get confused at gratixianum, also at virens/javanicum on Wednesday, hookerae and its friends on Thursdays, villosum and boxalli on Fridays, wilhelminae on Saturdays, and all the rest the rest of the week, so I am not even going to try this new series of changes!

Uncontroversial??? Neofinetia = Vanda?????????

Neofinetia used to be Vanda, back before any of us were born (1854). :)

Actually most of these changes were announced months ago; the Vanda relumping goes back to last October and has been previously discussed and down-shouted ad nauseum on various orchid boards. Sedirea to Phal is the only one I wasn't aware of till now.

EDIT:

And this board was no exception; here's the Neo to Vanda thread from last October:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27355

and a Phytotaxa paper with the specifics:

New combinations in the genus Vanda (Orchidaceae)

Vanda falcata (Thunb.) Beer (1854: 317).
Basionym: Orchis falcata Thunberg (1784: 811).
Homotypic synonyms:
Limodorum falcatum (Thunb.) Thunberg (1794: 326).
Angraecum falcatum (Thunb.) Lindley (1821: t15).
Oeceoclades falcata (Thunb.) Lindley (1833: 237).
Aerides thunbergii Miquel (1866: 205).
Angorchis falcata (Thunb.) Kuntze (1891a: 651).
Angraecopsis falcata (Thunb.) Schlechter (1914: 601).
Finetia falcata (Thunb.) Schlechter (1918: 140).
Neofinetia falcata (Thunb.) Hu (1925: 107).
Nipponorchis falcata (Thunb.) Masamune (1934: 592).
Holcoglossum falcatum (Thunb.) Garay & H.R.Sweet (1972: 182).
Heterotypic synonyms:
Oeceoclades lindleyi von Regel (1866: 70).
Distribution:—China, Japan, Korea, Nansei-Shoto (Ryukyu) Islands.
Notes:—Vanda falcata was proposed in 1854 by Beer in Prakt. Stud. Orchid. before being placed in
Neofinetia in 1925.

Neofinetia used to be Vanda, back before any of us were born (1854). :)

Actually most of these changes were announced months ago; the Vanda relumping goes back to last October and has been previously discussed and down-shouted ad nauseum on various orchid boards. Sedirea to Phal is the only one I wasn't aware of till now.

EDIT:

And this board was no exception; here's the Neo to Vanda thread from last October:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27355

I remember it well. I just take issue with the assessment that the changes are "uncontroversial."

On my side I admire taxonomists who endure each other's arguments based on observation and genetics, not for fun but science, AND that are snobbed by amateurs who don't like to change their labels while disregarding all their work.

It's their job and it's not for fun. :)

I'm way more interested on knowing why the RHS unlabeled Phalaenopsis Sweet Memory from it's synonym Liodora to Lydia Tobia out of the blue… And I don't cry over the disappearance of Doritis or Neofinetia. In fact I don't give a damn, save it's the scientific consensus and I'm not in a position to contest it on the required ground (and most amateurs are not able to do so), which is not based on feelings but evidence and studies.

When I had my first orchid attack some 30 years ago, there was already big taxonomic debates, that are somehow coming to a conclusion now. I wouldn't think the guys change things for pleasure, they do so because they agree the ancient divisions is neither coherent nor backed by strong evidence so they should be divided into different genera.

(Deep in me I believe for the joke than in fact there may be only 3 or 4 genera in orchidaceae, all the others should be forgotten, or that all are epidendrums like in the 18th century and ya basta! :eek:)

Btw, they are moving things in the vanilla genera, and I like it very much <3

On my side I admire taxonomists who endure each other's arguments based on observation and genetics, not for fun but science, AND that are snobbed by amateurs who don't like to change their labels while disregarding all their work.

It's their job and it's not for fun. :)

I'm way more interested on knowing why the RHS unlabeled Phalaenopsis Sweet Memory from it's synonym Liodora to Lydia Tobia out of the blue… And I don't cry over the disappearance of Doritis or Neofinetia. In fact I don't give a damn, save it's the scientific consensus and I'm not in a position to contest it on the required ground (and most amateurs are not able to do so), which is not based on feelings but evidence and studies.

When I had my first orchid attack some 30 years ago, there was already big taxonomic debates, that are somehow coming to a conclusion now. I wouldn't think the guys change things for pleasure, they do so because they agree the ancient divisions is neither coherent nor backed by strong evidence so they should be divided into different genera.

(Deep in me I believe for the joke than in fact there may be only 3 or 4 genera in orchidaceae, all the others should be forgotten, or that all are epidendrums like in the 18th century and ya basta! :eek:)

Btw, they are moving things in the vanilla genera, and I like it very much <3

I agree with everything you said. Amateur orchid growers will disagree with any change to what they know, so no matter how solid the scientific evidence is behind their taxonomic change, taxonomists will be unfairly criticised. An example would be the criticism of the splitting of the Dendrobium genera. When you see the huge differences in flower morphology and understand the reasons behind the split, the change is just common sense. But not to amateur orchid growers.

Don't Touch My Taxon!

I think their cheese has slipped off their cracker.

Yeah, and the cheese is the best part too.

Uncontroversial??? Neofinetia = Vanda?????????

Well, at least they didn't move Paphs in there too... yet.

...and Sederia? what would the Japanese say about these! Crazy...

Actually, they won't care, they'll use their own names, which is what they've done all along anyway. Nagoran, Fuuran, Sekkoku, Atsumorisou...

In the infamous words of Monty Python, "we need more taxonomists!"

I agree with everything you said. Amateur orchid growers will disagree with any change to what they know, so no matter how solid the scientific evidence is behind their taxonomic change, taxonomists will be unfairly criticised. An example would be the criticism of the splitting of the Dendrobium genera. When you see the huge differences in flower morphology and understand the reasons behind the split, the change is just common sense. But not to amateur orchid growers.

I'm an amateur grower. What I disagree with is the constant changing -- moving things into different genera and them moving them again. It seems that, just as you get used to certain names, they are changed again. If this is the last change that is made, I'll be very happy.

By the way, I know many professional growers, and I hear them complaining about the changes. It impacts them more than it does us amateurs. They have greenhouses full of plants they have to look up name changes. Changing tags take a lot of time and money -- something most commercial growers don't have these days.

I'm rather unhappy about the insinuations about "amateur growers."

Latest posts

Back