Late Spring Orchids of Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
More flowers in the garden.

A relative of the larger North American Pogonia ophioglossioides is P. japonica. This one is a "semi-alba" form which normally has much paler flowers. I think they may be darker this year due to cooler than normal temperatures.

PogJaponicaAlba.jpg

And the Bletilla are flowering now too. This is a pale flowered form of B. striata, perhaps the same as what you call in the west, f. rosea. I can't read the Japanese name and haven't had my girlfriend translate it for me - probably something silly and whimsical like "soft rain heaven princess" or some such thing. Japanese names can be really over the top and obscure.

PaleFace.jpg

On the right is B. ochracea from Yunnan and his buddy is B. Brigantes (B. ochracea x B. striata). Pretty easy to grow and flower these, just like B. striata, but B. ochracea is perhaps a bit more sensitive to winter rains.

BrigantesOchracea.jpg

Another native in flower now is the tiny Amitostigma keiski This is a typical flower, but many forms exist with more purple spotting, pure white ones, etc. Not a difficult plant, but not easy either.

AmitostigmaSM.jpg

Finally, a lovely new hybrid Calanthe I couldn't help but buy this spring. It is a complex hybrid using the native species, and like complex Paph hybrids, it gets difficult to tell the parentage unless you have a record. Regardless, I love it!

EbineFancy.jpg

:drool::drool: I'd snatch up a NoID calanthe if it looked like that too! Tom remind us what zone you're considered. Thanks

:drool::drool: I'd snatch up a NoID calanthe if it looked like that too! Tom remind us what zone you're considered. Thanks

And I'd wrestle you for it if there was only one!

I think he's in zone 9b like us??? I remember he had lots of good ideas for yard orchids for us.

Beautiful terrestrials!! I'd snatch up the Calanthe in a heartbeat too, it's beautiful!

Thanks for the comments all.

Nice. Are these all at your place?

Most assuredly Eric. This is just a sampling actually.

Rose, I actually HATE the USDA's hardiness zone scale, but this area is rated 9a according to it. In terms of climate it is more like Charleston, SC or Atlanta, GA, but wetter and without the extreme lows (and highs) those places can experience. Very unique climate, but I don't want to bore you :p

And I'd wrestle you for it if there was only one!

I think he's in zone 9b like us??? I remember he had lots of good ideas for yard orchids for us.

Ernie, glad you liked my ideas. I lived in Gainesville for a long stretch and I envied you all just to the south. Up there you couldn't grow many epiphytes because those few mornings in winter just killed everything.

It is zone 9a here according to this map. In terms of absolute lows, I've never experienced anything below 25-26 F, but there was a famous freeze years ago when even the vast heat island of Fukuoka City couldn't hold back the cold - it went down to something like 22 F. Rarely does it go below 28 F though.

Oh, about the hybrid Calanthe. I do have a name and if I researched it out (calling people I know) I could find its parents eventually. It is getting to the point with these after 20 years of serious hybridizing that even the growers themselves have to keep meticulous records of what a plant is - you really can't tell anymore simply looking at them. Most plants simply are called a number which you reference in a book. The results of can be quite surprising.

Latest posts

Back