Last one of 2006: Corallorhiza odontorhiza

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I wasn't even looking for this one. I stopped by a population of Platanthera cristata and noticed a few of these little guys across the trail. At first, I just thought they were Tipularia discolor in fruit. A closer inspection revealed them to be a lovely late-blooming coral root.

It was pretty late in the evening so the shots are somewhat blurry.

img2282smallfl3.jpg

img2304smallce1.jpg

img2301smallgd3.jpg

img2275smallbb7.jpg

And yep, those ovaries are quite often that large... Even with flowers on them.

Cool, I found a goodyera pubescense in the woods once but couldn't find it on return. Now part of the property [a paintball field]is being sold to build condos. I wonder if I should take a few of the ones I have at home and try to transplant them to the wild.

NYEric said:
Cool, I found a goodyera pubescense in the woods once but couldn't find it on return. Now part of the property [a paintball field]is being sold to build condos. I wonder if I should take a few of the ones I have at home and try to transplant them to the wild.

That would be a great idea, only if you know the area of transplantation will never be touched, or is on a piece of property that can't easily be developed (like a steep side of the mountain, or in a swamp marsh)... Personally, I would say keep them for a while and see if you can start outcrossing and self crossing them (and keep them well marked), then you can distribute the plants not only back into the wild in mass numbers (not easily achieved in situ), but into cultivation... =)

-Pat

Latest posts

Back