Last months haul

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing to compare the bird to get a better idea of the size. It is smaller than a red-tail, but not by much.
Very hard to tell striatus from cooperii, both fly through the yard. It is cooperii. This is a big bird. Got within 30ft.
cooperii- striatus: no territory fighting.
cooperii- red tail hawk: fierce and savage.

:DHopefully I'll have photos with a more symbolic theme soon...

About the plant, the only thing the tag say is- Onc. butterfly
Not label happy down there.

Picked up six T-8 fixtures on craigslist for basement.

The Zygo is from Troy Meyers. It was as described.
Today-Bletilla shephardii, Bletilla yokohama 'Kate'
phillyflowers104cropped.jpg

PEOY 'Eureka' x 'Rapunzel'

Last edited by a moderator:
My Allison Strohm is giving another go at it. STer CNYCharles gave it a massage at Thanksgiving. First bud BLASTED before Christmas.

Eric, you know me.
I buy it first, then learn about the specie.

These won't go outside till May.
btw, there is a flask or two of Bletilla i'm waiting on. I have some reading to do.:)

btw, there is a flask or two of Bletilla i'm waiting on. I have some reading to do.:)

Those "Bletilla" are actually Bletia shephardii, in truth a synonym for Bletia floridana, a subtropical terrestrial from south Florida and nearby Caribbean islands. It cannot take any real cold! Bletilla yokohama is a hybrid between B. striata and B. formosana, and a completely different genus. It should be quite a bit hardier, but I wouldn't try it out in NJ. B. formosana is a subtropical species, while B. striata is capable of handling perhaps zone 6 with lots of mulching...not sure how hardy their hybrid would be though...

If I didin't join this forum, the compost pile would be on the expensive side.

Thanks Tom for a well needed botany lesson! :)
That explains why when googled, I get 'did you mean...'

About the flasks, donor comments his Bletillia grow in Utah w/temps. ranging 0-100F. For the last three years at my lot, lowest nighttime temps. were 11-13F maybe for a week. We plan on planting next to house also, where some labelled annuals have turned perennial.
The weather in our area is somewhat odd. Snowfall could be double 10miles away in any direction.
Thanks again.
Clark and Christine

Local predator, 400ft. from house. Got within 100ft. for photos.

effing autofocus!!! But you get the idea.
:D:D:D ;)

Hi Dot.
Bald eagle. Not really a adult yet.
I've heard there is a golden eagle at Round Valley Resevior, about an hour from here.

The avarian experience got kicked up a notch yesterday.
Two bald eagles joined two red tailed hawks for a circle above home.
I was working in garden, too filthy to grab camera.

WOW!! Amazing you could get close enought to an eagle to take the pics! Great photos!!

Latest posts

Back