Larry's Orchids on eBay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kentuckiense said:
This guy needs to learn that paying for photo usage is part of running ANY business.
You know, the truth is, if he'd have asked me if he could use my photo, I probably would have said yes with proper credits and/or a trade for one of his Wossens.

What I would do is: Fill in the required paperwork, without this nothing can be done. Then request that he give the credit for the photo and offer you something in trade or remove the photos. People must get photos from somewhere but should never just take them w/out some compensation. If this became the norm, piracy issues of intellectual property would be reduced.

When is the board meeting, anyway? I might be able to show up to lend you my support. I don't know that it would count for much...

Is the implication on the Maudiae 'The Queen' seedlings in 2" pots that they are actually seed grown offspring, or that the divisions are too small to market? I've heard lots of people describe clones (either divisions or mericlones) as 'seedlings' based on size alone, not realizing that this is a term better reserved for plants grown from seed. I have probably done it myself a few times by accident. If they really were grown from seed, that is just another log on the fire of evidence that the grower doesn't know what he is talking about. Wouldn't be the first person to mess that up, but it isn't very professional.

littlefrog said:
When is the board meeting, anyway? I might be able to show up to lend you my support. I don't know that it would count for much...

Is the implication on the Maudiae 'The Queen' seedlings in 2" pots that they are actually seed grown offspring, or that the divisions are too small to market? I've heard lots of people describe clones (either divisions or mericlones) as 'seedlings' based on size alone, not realizing that this is a term better reserved for plants grown from seed. I have probably done it myself a few times by accident. If they really were grown from seed, that is just another log on the fire of evidence that the grower doesn't know what he is talking about. Wouldn't be the first person to mess that up, but it isn't very professional.
The next Board meeting is Dec. 12 at Donna's. Right now, the Board doesn't seem too interested it taking this up. Messages include things like "Larry made a mistake and GLOS should stay out of it -and- If evey time someone had a problem with a vendor and GLOS took them off the vendor list, there wouldn't be any vendors left..."

I don't know how much Larry knows about orchids. He does seem to grow alot, by looking at photos of his greenhouses. I've heard people use the term "seedlings" both when they speak of small unbloomed plants and as seed-grown as opposed to clones. So that's probably not much ammo. But thanks, Rob. I'll keep you posted on what's happening on the Board.

Meanwhile, I did get a response from the webmaster. Here is what he said:
"That photo will be on eBay for 90 days, if you would take the time to actually read the auction information at the top of the page, you will see that it was ended early per your request,
but eBay's policy is to keep closed aucitons available for 90 days.
The only people who can see that picture are those that have that specific auction number, the eBay search engine will NOT find that item (because it's closed/canceled).
So long story short, if you bookmarked that specific eBay item number, YES you will see it for about 87/88 more days, but the general public on eBay will NEVER see it because it's a closed/canceled item/"

I wrote back:
"Just a point of clarification:
I never asked to have the auction ended. I asked that you remove my photograph or pay me for it's commercial use.
I see that you have done this for the heading that says "See more great Items from this seller" (Thank you!) but I do not understand why you cannot remove the photo from your site. Period. Why can't you insert a "blank" that says "photo removed" or some such thing? EBay certainly can have no rule requiring you to leave a photo that is not yours on your site, no matter how hidden it may be to the general public."

No response yet.

SlipperFan said:
but I do not understand why you cannot remove the photo from your site. Period. Why can't you insert a "blank" that says "photo removed" or some such thing? EBay certainly can have no rule requiring you to leave a photo that is not yours on your site, no matter how hidden it may be to the general public."

No response yet.

Once a bid is placed on an ebay auction item the gallery photo can not be changed by the seller, if the photo was hosted on ebay. So their only recourse was to end the listing to get your picture off.

kentuckiense said:
I browsed their eBay store and it appears that auctions using your photo have been ended by the seller. Victory?
Thank you, Zach. Small victory. I doubt they've learned a lesson. In my posting above, you'll see no evidence of an apology or offer to make things right.

But you know, it is really nice to have friends who will take the trouble to, in their surfings, recognize photos posted elsewhere, and alert the photographer of their findings. Who says the internet isn't a friendly place?! A few bad apples will not spoil this barrel.

Dot, by all means you can quote me. That is exactly what transpired in the past.

And when I asked about the Maudiae 'the queen', I was told they were selfings (which is highly doubtful given the sterility of that cultivar). The ads did not specify that, however.

Larry's Orchids is one of a short list of eBay sellers that are on my "do not buy" list. I don't care for the fact that they don't show the actual plant up for bid. They never do. While I realize that it is time consuming to photograph each plant up for auction, other sellers do it or at least show a representative photo. And this was before the incident with Dot's photo. It just reaffirms my opinion.

I purchased plants once from Larry's Orchids on ebay. Bait and switch, that was maybe five or six years ago and I'm still waiting for him to send me the plants I purchased. No thanks Larry's Orchids.

Latest posts

Back