Laminar Flow

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Faan

Is there perhaps someone on the forum that could give me guidance in building my own laminar flow box/cabinet? I have thought of something that is not more than a meter/3ft long. To buy a new cabinet is far too expensive to only grow orchid seeds in it. Alternatively guide me to a good website where I may obtain plans.
Thanks

One of the most expensive items will be the HEPA filter itself. Depending on the size of the filter, you will be able to make a small "hood" or some what bigger. Find a filter.

Fly up once a month and use mine. Or phone UCT, Talk to the lab people. The problem is the filters, they are imported, but labs get a cataloque where parts, services and second hand lab stuff are advertised in. Tukkies is replacing theirs later in the year, apparently its cheaper than redoing the filters, byt i know someone who can test them and tell you if they still will work for you. Both mine were checked two weeks ago, I have the number.
Will cost you a box of cabernet....

Charles,
Have you ever tried a bottle of Bonne Esperance? This is a KWV wine and you can only get it if you have a quota.
Please let me have the number. Will Tukkies be replacing the whole thing or only the filters?

I will explain later, but basically, when I moved laminar flow hoods to Viet Nam, one broken severely. It was a US$14000 equipment, the 2.8m one with vertical and recycling.

I discovered that there are 3 blowers (because it is a wide one), 1 pressure gauge, 1 rheostat to control the blower speed, and the UV light (optionnal I would say). Basically, the 14000 equipment was cheap metal and the above mentionned equipment ( Made in China for the blowers, as I found out).

For HEPA filters 116cm ( for the 120 cm hoods), I paid for the spare part 320US$ ( but I wanted a special class) for a new one. I check, and the price in the Netherlands for a Class 100 HEPA are around 180-220$. Some filters are US$140 only from another company. A blower of very high quality is about US$180 ( Korean one) or US$80 (Italian). So my guess, if you know how to cut metal and build a metal box, is that you can have a LFH for 500$ all included, for the very high quality one. I will put a scheme of the one that broke, you will have to follow it, and you have a vertical flux recycling laminar flow hood...

I built my own using some ideas from the web. Basically it was an air filtration/hepa filter mounted onto a large plastic tub. I found it too small to work in comfortably and still contaminated all my flasks. :< In the future, I'm going to send off all my good crosses and only dabble with those that aren't as important to me.

They are replacing the whole units, and if you look at Sanderianums post, you understand. the prices of good filters are prohibitive for us.

Latest posts

Back