Lake Eyre, Central Australia.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just stunning. Love those abstract photos. The lake looks pretty dry.

I think it was at William Creek we turned off and drove to Lake Eyre where we camped for a few days. Probably the most corrugated road I have ever driven on. Worth it though. The lake was full and the location stunning.

We thought about doing a scenic plane trip but didn't in the end. Looking at your photos, I think that was a mistake.

Great photos!

Did you see the Desert Rainbowfish: http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Tatei.htm ?

The Desert Rainbowfish can be found in Lake Eyre and its tributaries.

As Stephen said, the lake can get very saline. What generally happens is after floods the lake fills up and the fish breed like crazy. As the water evaporates, the water becomes saltier and the fish are killed. I camped around Lake Eyre a few years ago when the lake was pretty full. All around the edges of the shore, there were masses of dead fish. These were killed when the water became too salty for them to survive.

Some of the dead fish have the shape of rainbow fish, although I'm not 100% certain.

fish%20at%20lake%20eyre.jpg

fish%20at%20lake%20eyre%202.jpg

Latest posts

Back