Laeliocattleya (walkeriana X lucasiana)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
May272010115reduc.jpg

May272010002reduc2.jpg

This is a hybrid of Cattleya walkeriana X Laelia lucasiana. Due to the ever-changing nomenclature of orchids I will note that the rupicolous Laelia lucasiana = Laelia longpipes and may previously have been or may even now be classified as a Sophronitis or Hoffmannseggella. I can't keep up. There is one stem with three flowers borne from the center of a newly opening leaf. Each flower has a diameter of about 2 inches. This is a very petite plant consisting of 1 to 1.5 inch tall upright egg-shaped pseudobulbs topped by very stiff 1.5 to 2 inch tall upright spoon-shaped leaves. At first the flowers smelled very strongly of freshly crushed gourmet Tellicherry peppercorns, but after a few days they've added a slightly fruity Oleander floral scent into the mix -- quite pleasant either way! I've had this plant for about a year. It came from SBOE. This is the first time it has bloomed for me. It grows cool and very bright in a small basket filled with chunks of granite. I gave it minimal moisture during the winter months and more once growth commenced in the spring. This one's a keeper! :)

For registration purposes longipes is used, not lucasiana, and considered Cattleya not Laelia. The hybrid with walkeriana is called Cattleya Burgundy Sun. I love the way it adds a little luxury to the lucasiana while maintaining the neat compact plant form. Thanks for sharing.

Here's this year's crop of flowers. This is a very small plant. It only blooms once per year, but it's worth the wait. The flowers smell peppery and sweet. I grow it lithophytically (in a pot filled with rocks). It grows in an eastern window supplemented by a track light overhead using LED lamps (ALT brand, bulb type BR30, E26 base, Natural White color, 15 watt, 38° beam angle from Jermic LED online). It's not the greatest photo I've ever produced, but you get the idea anyway. :poke: :p :)

Laeliocattleya002croppedreduction.jpg

Latest posts

Back