Quantcast

Laeliocattleya (walkeriana X lucasiana)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

This is a hybrid of Cattleya walkeriana X Laelia lucasiana. Due to the ever-changing nomenclature of orchids I will note that the rupicolous Laelia lucasiana = Laelia longpipes and may previously have been or may even now be classified as a Sophronitis or Hoffmannseggella. I can't keep up. There is one stem with three flowers borne from the center of a newly opening leaf. Each flower has a diameter of about 2 inches. This is a very petite plant consisting of 1 to 1.5 inch tall upright egg-shaped pseudobulbs topped by very stiff 1.5 to 2 inch tall upright spoon-shaped leaves. At first the flowers smelled very strongly of freshly crushed gourmet Tellicherry peppercorns, but after a few days they've added a slightly fruity Oleander floral scent into the mix -- quite pleasant either way! I've had this plant for about a year. It came from SBOE. This is the first time it has bloomed for me. It grows cool and very bright in a small basket filled with chunks of granite. I gave it minimal moisture during the winter months and more once growth commenced in the spring. This one's a keeper! :)

PaphMadMan

phytomanic
Reaction score
For registration purposes longipes is used, not lucasiana, and considered Cattleya not Laelia. The hybrid with walkeriana is called Cattleya Burgundy Sun. I love the way it adds a little luxury to the lucasiana while maintaining the neat compact plant form. Thanks for sharing.

J

Jorch

Gorgeous! love the fact that it has gorgeous flowers on a compact plant! :)

Scooby5757

lightly hirsute
Reaction score
Pretty flower and intense olfactory description. Have to find these Tellicherry peppercorns...

cnycharles

Peloric keiki
Reaction score
very nice. two of my favorite species from this family brought together very nicely!

tenman

Reaction score
Beautiful - both the flowers and the photography!

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Here's this year's crop of flowers. This is a very small plant. It only blooms once per year, but it's worth the wait. The flowers smell peppery and sweet. I grow it lithophytically (in a pot filled with rocks). It grows in an eastern window supplemented by a track light overhead using LED lamps (ALT brand, bulb type BR30, E26 base, Natural White color, 15 watt, 38° beam angle from Jermic LED online). It's not the greatest photo I've ever produced, but you get the idea anyway. :poke: :p :)

Latest posts