Laelia tenebrosa aurea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

A first bloom seedling.

latenaur1.jpg

latenaur2.jpg

This plant also oddly has a keiki growing at the base of the spike with 3 roots already developed.

tenr.jpg

I love yellow flowers. And I love the contrast of the red white and yellow.

Thanks for posting the pics. I really did miss them. :p

That is strange with the keiki forming like that.I love the deep rich colour of the flowers.

Cool! I've never seen this either, and it is on an excellent variety of a nice species.

BTW, speaking of odd happenings on Cattleya alliance plants, this Cadmium Light decided to have a siamese twin growth. I'll have to take some updated pics now that it is in bloom.
siam1.jpg

siam2.jpg

Jon
________
Vaporizer instructions

Last edited:
Jon, your plant is crazy! Definitely post pictures... is it pale green/yellowish green? That's my favorite color for blooms.

Actually it is bright yellow with a lighter lip, reminiscent of C. bicolor. I'll get pics tomorrow when the sun's out and start a thread so I don't hijack Liens post too badly.

Jon
________
Winning

Last edited:
Beautiful Laelia tenebrosa... that definitely is Laelia tenebrosa var. aurea... well, actually, the real name now is Hadrolaelia tenebrosa var. aurea... yours may grow taller than normal Laelia tenebrosa plants if you give it more light...

I had Laelia tenebrosa var. aurea 'Walton Grange' FCC/AOS (actually 2)... they were about 2.5 feet tall, and kicks out about 7-10 super-sized yellow flowers... the var. aurea is a very strange variety because of the size and vigor difference...

As for the "keiki" on the spike, that will most likely turn up as another spike (might just yellow off though)... this usually happens on some species of Grammatophyllum, Catasetum, Mormodes, Cycnoches, and Clowesia...

Out of curiosity, I know the var. aurea is rare, anyone grow it or have the cultivar 'Walton Grange', or the Laelia tenebrosa var. fumacina?

-Pat

Very nice colour. I had a Noid do the same thing last year, I removed the keiki and potted it, it has just started a 3rd growth

Lien,

Love it! My tenebrosa (normal variety) is opening right now! Hope it is nice also!

thanks

Latest posts

Back