Laelia tenebrosa alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite form of tenebrosa! Ice green tepals and contrasting white lip… gorgeous.

Well done to keep alive and even more kudos to bloom it. What is cultivar name if it’s a named one?

I bought about 4 seedlings from Japan but they are struggling. Any tips?

Also, is flower still opening?

Kyushu - it might depend on which direction the flower spike was growing. If the spike is growing at a shallow angle instead of upwards --- sometimes due to pseudobulb angle as well maybe ------ then the tepals could just be up against gravity. I don't know for sure though.

Thanks for comments.It was a single possibility to buy the plant what has few backbulbs 2 years ago.This time it is strong enough to bloom but plant size is still about half of a normal strong tenebrosa and stem has only a tiny sheath.This coukd be the reason why flowers face a bit downwords.

This could be the reason why flowers face a bit downwords.

It could be! Although, from a physics/physics-mechanics stand point - there might be more force acting on the petals - forcing them downward by gravity. While if we were somehow able to re-orient the flower (whole plant or pot etc - without the media falling out that is) so that the faces of the petals became more vertical, then the reduced downward force on petals might allow the flower to take on a different look. But - on the other hand - the ones in these pics here are fantastic. Beautiful and natural - absolutely not 'defective'.

Last edited:
For few of yours: I keep it as my other catts.Humidity is always high, between 75-90 percent. Potting media is rough, 18-25 mm orchiata bark, fertilizing always 600 uS EC, in spring 3:1:1 NPK and this shifted to 1:2:2 gradually till late spring.Waterings depending of weather but i always let them dry out for about 2 or three days.I have areficial light switch it makes plus light under 30.000 lux between 7.am. and 9 pm.

Latest posts

Back