Laelia Purpurata Uba Tuba…need info about?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cearbhael

Reaction score
I have been lusting for Laelia Purpurata in many different variations for years!! My newest heart throb is Laelia Purpurata Uba Tuba! WOW!! Can some of you folks who grow Cattleya Alliance Orchids tell me about this plant?? I have had great success with Phal’s and lately doing well with Phrags. I have had success with Dendrobiums (destroyed in storm) but never wet my toes where Cattleya Alliance is concerned.

I don’t grow this clone but have several other colour forms of this great species. It’s one of the most vigorous and easy to grow orchids you can choose. A good first time attempt with catts.
There are a myriad of colour forms for this species, many of them now being actively line bred, mainly in Brazil but also in other parts of the world.

Glad they may make a good beginner Cat plant!! I love they have many beautiful variations! I fell in love with Laelia Purpurata var. Werkhauseri. It is unfortunately now out of my price range! I never ever see it available for under $100.00.
I can still afford other variations like rubra, vini colour, striating…etc

Leslie will probably know more but you may be able to find recent brazilian bred plants in the USA especially at shows, if these nurseries are visiting.
Something to ask about or contact some of the nurseries direct.

I have been lusting for Laelia Purpurata in many different variations for years!! My newest heart throb is Laelia Purpurata Uba Tuba! WOW!! Can some of you folks who grow Cattleya Alliance Orchids tell me about this plant?? I have had great success with Phal’s and lately doing well with Phrags. I have had success with Dendrobiums (destroyed in storm) but never wet my toes where Cattleya Alliance is concerned.
Do you have a pic of this particular cultivar? I may be able to help. And are you located in US?

Equagenera has it for $25.00.
Ecuagenera USA has it for $35 I have to think that after the fees they charge for using your card and fees for the importing paperwork they do for you, the price will be about the same lol! It makes more sense to use the main Ecuagenera with larger orders

Do you have a pic of this particular cultivar? I may be able to help. And are you located in US?
Sorry this took so long, the photo I had didn’t have the right extension so wouldn’t upload. Had to find another pic online and not easy! Twenty million varieties popped up.

Attachments

• 8034D08A-38D1-4FAF-990A-6722413DE422.jpeg
    8034D08A-38D1-4FAF-990A-6722413DE422.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 7
It is a named clone but something that looks similar and doesn’t cost an arm and another arm price wise would be fine! I am dreadfully house poor. Yeah, really turned on by it, but most semi alba forms of Laelia purpurata are lovely (especially the coerulea, werkhauseri, Uba Tuba, carnea) Ha Ha, I know the werkhauseri is SUPER wishful thinking but had to throw that in. Also forgot to mention schusteriana.

Yes I am in US. Central MN to be more specific
Try Orchids Limited as they are close to you. Or Carter and Holmes. They might have them.

Also Olompa Orchids in California and both
Ecuagenera and Armando Mantellini in Florida.

Most of them sell through eBay so check weekly on Mondays.

The vendors at Tamiami and Redlands from South America is a good place for bargains. Price ranges from $50-500 depends on cultivars.

If you want award quality divisions, look at Brazilian nurseries like Orquidário Americana and AWZ.

Occasionally Michael Sinn (previous owner of Canaima Orchids) in Georgia has nice purpuratas too. I got a few great ones from him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back