Laelia purpurata sanguinea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom/Leslie,
it’s struck me today that a x canhamiana made with one of these modern purpurata sanguineas and the very dark mossiae ‘willowbrook’ could be something special.
I know that willowbrook is probably not 100% mossiae but its close so the hybrid should have most of the desirable traits of x canhamiana plus a super dark flower.
My x canhamiana coerulea flowers consistently on mature growths with six large scented flowers every year and is very easy and vigorous to grow.
Have either of you heard of this cross being made?
The only x canhamianas that I see regularly for sale are the coerulea clones.
Maybe in a year or two I’ll make this cross.

Last edited:
Most of the available and awarded Canhamianas are coeruleas (because they were so popular as blues were hard to source and grow) or typo coloration.

I have not seen a sanguinea form in my judging experience the last 5 years, both in US or Japan. This might be a good idea to remake with the parents you have. A worthy project.

Maybe Tom has both in bloom and can do the cross as well. Saves us 3 years lol.

Most of the available and awarded Canhamianas are coeruleas (because they were so popular as blues were hard to source and grow) or typo coloration.

I have not seen a sanguinea form in my judging experience the last 5 years, both in US or Japan. This might be a good idea to remake with the parents you have. A worthy project.

Maybe Tom has both in bloom and can do the cross as well. Saves us 3 years lol.
Nice try Leslie.
David my Canhamiana are the pink form and as you say are both consistent and vigourous. Here is last years model.
8B1FA1A9-11A6-494E-8506-B227A9658B76.jpeg

This plant is an import via Germany a couple of years ago from Bela Vista orchids. They had a large group of selected purpuratas for sale on their web site which could be ordered and imported through Regina Elsner. Sadly Regina has now retired and we now have Brexit so the chances of repeating this again anytime soon are very low. Breeding of these purpurata colour forms is at a very high level in South America so the chance to pick up some selected forms was a chance not to be missed.
Purpuratas are tough plants and even the trip across the Atlantic and loss of most of the roots didn’t stop this plant flowering on its first growth after the trip last year.
Year two and we see two flowering growths and seven flowers although the plant is by no means full sized. The blooms average 12-13cm across on growths about 45cm tall.
What I love about this flower is the intensity of the lip colour, such a rich deep red. The flowers are also quite flat for a purpurata and because of this the plant may be a tetraploid.
Last photo shows it with friends, mossiaes and lueddemanniana.
View attachment 27846View attachment 27847View attachment 27848
David

Just beautiful. I don’t have one yet and I’m dying to get one but most I see aren’t in the budget.

Latest posts

Back