Laelia lobata var. concolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ed M

Laelia lobata var. concolor is blooming out in my greenhouse with fragrant five-inch flowers. Its a lithophytic species from Brazil that will grow in full sun.

I love it, wonderful!! (any advice for flowering?? I have mine since +/- 6 years, it grows but does not flower). Jean

Jean, two things. They generally need to get big before blooming and often its the action of growing out of the pot that stimulates blooming. Basket culture also works well. Secondly, very bright light. I grow mine in full sun all winter and about 50% sun during summer heat here in Tennessee. I suppose I would get more flowers if I grew it brighter still. I'm a little chicken of burning it though.

Jean, two things. They generally need to get big before blooming and often its the action of growing out of the pot that stimulates blooming. Basket culture also works well. Secondly, very bright light. I grow mine in full sun all winter and about 50% sun during summer heat here in Tennessee. I suppose I would get more flowers if I grew it brighter still. I'm a little chicken of burning it though.

thanks! I have mine mounted on cork, and it gets a lot of sun, too. Indeed the growths of last year were getting very strong, so maybe this time they will produce sheaths :):)! Jean

Wonderful one, Ed!!! It's a lythophytic, so which substrate do you use for it?:)

Latest posts

Back