Lady Isabel

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
This plant has wowed me. This is a first bloom seedling, and the blooming growth lost half of its leaves to rot this summer. I thought for sure it was a goner, but it stayed strong and bloomed on a three leaf growth! I thought about cutting the spike once I saw it forming, but the plant also has one bs and one nbs growth. So, selfishly, I thought why not? The plant is still pushing leaves and bloomed beautifully!

Here's what it looked like last week

And today

Paph Lady Isabel (stonei 'The Best' x rothschildianum 'Gigantic' FCC/AOS)

Picked it up at Windy Hill about two years ago, originator (I believe) is Orchid Inn.

NS- has increased since last week to 21
NS vert- 17.6
Dorsal width- 5.4
Petal length- 15

Thank you to my lovely wife for the lovely photos!

Those are stunning, Adam. Has the rothschildianum parent imparted any cool-temperature tolerance to this hybrid? I love the look of stonei, but would never try to grow one due to its warmth requirements. Congrats on your flowers. They're way cool.

Steve

Those are stunning, Adam. Has the rothschildianum parent imparted any cool-temperature tolerance to this hybrid? I love the look of stonei, but would never try to grow one due to its warmth requirements. Congrats on your flowers. They're way cool.

Steve

Thank you Steve. This plant was outside half of the year and in the cooler extremes it dipped down to the high high 40s, briefly, along with my roth. Neither seemed to mind. I strive for low 60s for lows and mid 80s for highs, but this plant was also subjected to 100 degree days in the summer, with plenty of shading and air movement. It's no wimp.

Love the size and colour of these. I have 2 of these plants that I purchased from Sam within the last year. Both should flower early next year, one has 2 fully mature growths so both may throw spikes simultaneously. It also reached the high 90's in my greenhouse this year in the UK!!! and even though the plants survived, a slight breakdown of the leaves tissue and bleaching has occurred. Now we,re in winter, some colour is returning but I'll be well pleased if the blooms are similar to yours.:clap:

Gary
UK

Love the size and colour of these. I have 2 of these plants that I purchased from Sam within the last year. Both should flower early next year, one has 2 fully mature growths so both may throw spikes simultaneously. It also reached the high 90's in my greenhouse this year in the UK!!! and even though the plants survived, a slight breakdown of the leaves tissue and bleaching has occurred. Now we,re in winter, some colour is returning but I'll be well pleased if the blooms are similar to yours.:clap:

Gary
UK

Gary, the same thing happened to most of my paphs, but they are recouperating nicely. I have another bs growth on this plant that I hoped would spike simultaneously, but it was not to be. I'm extremely pleased with one spike though. I'll let anticipation build for the next one. Hopefully I'll get it in to judging then.

Thanks everyone. Inflorescence is about 60 cm, I cut it this morning. I hope it will rebloom soon. I'm proud of this one.

That's an excellent Lady Isabel, great shape, colours, spacing,...

Need to show your pics to the sibling I own, waiting the fourth year now for it to put out its first bloom.

Oh! Forgot to mention, fragrance is heavy black pepper from the roth parent. I never knew roths were fragrant until mine bloomed. This is the first roth hybrid I've bloomed that inherited this wonderful trait.

Latest posts

Back