La Vingtaine and Glen Decker

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have grown and bloomed Glen Decker, which is Jason Fischer x kovachii. La Vingtaine is a step earlier in evolution because it is Mem. Dick Clements x kovachii. The parents make a huge difference in these crosses in terms of size, roundness, and coloration. Yours look very nice.

The blooms look very similar to me. I have two LaV that haven't bloomed yet and never had Glen Decker at all.
I like both flowers very much. The kov. influence is obvious, however, I don't really understand what exactly
the breeders were trying to improve with this type of breeding.

Terryros, can you explain the earlier evolution of LaV please? I have two of them and they are very slow growers and
I don't understand why. I bought them from a very reputable Phrag dealer that is quite popular on ST and my growing
conditions are excellent in my gh. All my Phrags. from Tom are doing exceptionally well.

Terryros, can you explain the earlier evolution of LaV please? I have two of them and they are very slow growers and
I don't understand why. I bought them from a very reputable Phrag dealer that is quite popular on ST and my growing
conditions are excellent in my gh. All my Phrags. from Tom are doing exceptionally well.
I only meant that Mem. Dick Clements in LaV is a generation earlier in breeding than Jason Fischer (which is Mem. Dick Clements crossed back to besseae). Both LaVingtaine and Glen Decker are 50% kovachii, but Glen Decker has a higher proportion of besseae genes and a lower proportion of sargentianum. You might expect that Glen Decker would be a little smaller and a little rounder than LaVingtaine.

Thank you, terryros. Perhaps the besseae contribution to LaV is the slow growing problem in my warm/intermediate
gh. I'm going to do more research on the crosses I have with besseae in the mix.

Good morning,
I have mainly phrags in my GH. I sort of specialize in them. I have no trouble growing kovachii or it's crosses. I have bloomed very many and even won a few awards. I have had 3 Glen deckers and killed them all. I am without any at the moment. The only one that I did bloom was quite unimpressive. On the other hand my LV grow great and very nice size with nice blooms simulair to the ones pictured. I just don't understand why I have such trouble with GD?
George

Interesting discussion. I have two Fritz Schomburg 3N and both bloom well. Perhaps, awesomei, we should exchange
Phrags. ;>) or locations. The LaVs are maturing new growth finally, but soooo sloooow. I also have Barbara LeAnn 'Fox
Croft' and Geilgelstein ( reticulated X besseae var falvum) that are duds so far in my gh.

Latest posts

Back