L.purpurata 'Gilbert Rubra'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good example of how a somewhat small plant of purpurata can create a real display.
Shown is variety 'Gilbert Rubra' with 9 flowers.
9 lovely flowers and I suppose by your post they derive from different bulbs/sprouts of the same plant. But there seems to be a different colouration ... at least in the photo. The colouration of the left flowers seems to be more intense ?

A wonderful display - well done, Patrick! 😍

I think, though, that taxonomically speaking, it's a fault to consider 'Gilbert Rubra' a variety. Sounds rather like a clonal name - and you have correctly designated it as such in the caption to your post!
If used by growers to distinguish a specific breeding line and they insist on sticking to the varietal epithet, we are certainly out of botanical taxonomy and into horticultural naming - and the name should be followed by a designation to qualify that, i. e. Catt. purpurata var. Gilbert Rubra (Hort.)
... there seems to be a different colouration ... at least in the photo. The colouration of the left flowers seems to be more intense ?
But, Rudolf, this is really where Catts distinguish themselves from Paphs: it's not that unusual to see colour differences in flowers from the same plant. I've even seen a photo of a C. dowiana (I think it was) with two markedly different coloured flowers...on the same inflorescence!

Last edited:
But, Rudolf, this is really where Catts distinguish themselves from Paphs: it's not that unusual to see colour differences in flowers from the same plant. I've even seen a photo of a C. dowiana (I think it was) with two markedly different coloured flowers...on the same inflorescence!
Yes, it was mine aurea.🥰☝️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230523_211057.jpg
    Screenshot_20230523_211057.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 1
Oops! But as I look at his photo, it looks like two separate plants/pots. Am I seeing things?
It is one plant with two spikes on two growths, the spike on the right hand side has been open longer then the one on the left hand side. the color in the petals fades as the flowers age. the pot on the bench to the right is a Purpurata-like plant as far as the foliage goes, it's Lc.Callistoglossa
(warscewiczii x purpurata).
Sorry for the confusion.

-Patrick

I think, though, that taxonomically speaking, it's a fault to consider 'Gilbert Rubra' a variety. Sounds rather like a clonal name - and you have correctly designated it as such in the caption to your post!
If used by growers to distinguish a specific breeding line and they insist on sticking to the varietal epithet, we are certainly out of botanical taxonomy and into horticultural naming - and the name should be followed by a designation to qualify that, i. e. Catt. purpurata var. Gilbert Rubra (Hort.)

Thank you for your post!
'Gilbert Rubra' is a cultivar name, rather than a color form/variety name; although I'm not sure what color form this would be??? perhaps DrLeslieE could chime in?

-Patrick

Thank you for your post!
'Gilbert Rubra' is a cultivar name, rather than a color form/variety name; although I'm not sure what color form this would be??? perhaps DrLeslieE could chime in?

-Patrick

Latest posts

Back