Krull Smith

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I just checked the KS web site and it says that they have sold their entire paph breeding stock to Ursa Orchids. Anyone have info on this.
Rob

I read their website yesterday and still can't believe it. Say it ain't so Frank!

I left the WOC in Miami last year and thought I had seen the greatest slipper collection in the world grown by the best grower in the world.

e-spice

This is what I wrote to the new owner as well as the response I received.

In a message dated 6/4/2009 9:06:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

I'd like to be informed of your progress with both your facility and web site. If I understand things correctly, you have bought Krull Smith paph. breeding stock. If this is true, I hope you are able to take an active role in the International Paph. Forum that is held in the Orlando area each fall. I've been flying down from N.Y. the last few years and would love to see you there. Usually, the highlight of that trip would be Franks Open House on Sunday. Oh, well looks like I'll just need to take an earlier flight home.

Good Luck in your endeavors!

Thanks
Bob Phillips

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your interest. I will keep your information and let you know once we have our inventory list done and the website up. We are hoping to have this completed some time in mid to late July. As for the Paph Symposium, we will be taking an active role in organizing this in the future. For this year it will remain similar to the past and be held in the same location. Next year we hope to be able to take over the event and offer an open house at our nursery on Sunday. This year will more than likely be too busy to be able to, with all the construction going on and trying to get ready for our grand opening this fall. We will be at the Paph Symposium and will bring plants for sale there. Again, thank you for your interest and we will be in touch with you once we have more news on our website and listings.

Sincerely,
Ryan Kowalczyk
VP, Ursa Orchids, Inc.

Scott Ware told me about this last month and indicated that Krull Smith would have an ad in this month's Orchids explaining it. I haven't seen it yet.
The good thing is that the collection is intact under new ownership and they should proceed appropriately. Of course, you never know how these things will work out, but they have invested quite a bit in this venture.

Hope this doesn't end the same way Stewarts Orchids did.

Kyle

I was told by a reputable source that the entire collection was sold and the selling price was 4 mil. Frank can buy alot of new plants with that kind of green!

I have a friend who just visited Frank, and he said he was under the impression that Day lilies are his prime focus these days.
I guess they grow easier and he can sell them for more than most orchids.
Perhaps he will keep some orchids as a private collection.

Frank has always been ahead of the curve, perceptive, and savvy. Perhaps all of us in the paph business should take notice. His contributions have been, and hopefully will continue to be, enormous.
Rob

Frank has always been ahead of the curve, perceptive, and savvy. Perhaps all of us in the paph business should take notice. His contributions have been, and hopefully will continue to be, enormous.
Rob

Perhaps, the Slippertalk new name will be Daylilies-slippertalk to be in tune with the anticipate future:D

Well, this is all very interesting. IMHO, it looks like a passing of the torch from one generation to the next. Much better than going out of business, or letting the business just die.

I think he is quite right unfortunately as a businessman. Paph interest is vanishing thoses days, there are masses of plants, species and hybrids, wild and seed grown, available, and more coming. The old days where a plant would easily sell for over 500us are gone...

There are many people in the business, many that would buy from Frank or the Orchid Zone roths with FCC parents, buy another batch from Holland, Taiwan, or god knows where and put their parentage with a discount price on the tag...

Be realistic, if Frank sold for 4 millions his entire paph collection, he would have done this amount in a couple dozen or hundreds years. Even the Japanese Deluxe market is completely gone those days, and to predict when it will be up is totally impossible, 1 year 10 years or never. What is sure is that we are in another down era for orchids, similar to the 30's to 50's where most of the breeding plants disappeared in less than 20 years. Being realistic as well, there are few plants alive today that will still be with us in 10 years. Remember the masses of paph bougainvilleanum and wentworthianum imported by Paul Gripp, the hundreds of flasks of hookerae and wilhelminiae by AnTec, the dozen of thousands of roths seedlings, bellatulum album, sukhakhulii album sold by the Orchid Zone? All gone except a mere few plants here and there.

Frank wants to leave the ship before it sinks, and he is quite right...

Hopefully you are not right about that, but the pot plant market is taking the base of the established orchid companies away. People just want cheap plants, don't care if they live or die and don't get involved with societies as much anymore. The traditional orchid nurseries that cater to specific genera and rarities are reducing by the day.

There will always be some paph/phrag nuts, but the new generation will have to continue hybridizing in a market that has never been profitable for most and is getting worse. Will they step up?

Your point about all of the flasks and seedlings that seem to have disappeared over the last 10 years or so is interesting. My guess is that the vast majority are dead due to lack of adequate culture. Sometimes it is as easy as annual repotting.......

Latest posts

Back