kovachii x Saint Ouen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the beguining of a new era for Phrag hybrids:THE PK ERA. It is also interesting to quote that the pollen used here was PK and of course the mother plant was St Ouen. We can only predict that the following opening of the cross with P. besseae should be very similar. And probably the other two will be bigger. It is also true that PK enlarges the size of the opened flower by the 5 to 7 day. So probably we can espect to have a 15 cm new Phrag. and bigger in the following years...
This probably is a dominant character of the pollen. We need to see what will happen when using PK as the mother plant...Now that Mr Manrique has very well establish and carefully selected flowering PKs, we can use the PK as mother plants. I will obtain permission from Mr Manrique to post you photographs of his unique PK plants. Only after a very careful selection he has started to use them as mother plants. Hybrids as PK X Barbara LeAnn, PK X Eric Young, X Grande, X Jason Fisher ( of course), X richteri, X pearcei, and others, are coming in flask using both parents as pollen and mother plant. What we have seen for rates of growing, the right direction is to use well known fast seedling growers, as St Ouen and X richterii, pearcei, besseae and all their fast growing seedlings. Another fact that is contributing for the succes is the growing conditions in Hawai...
The future is so bright for PK...lets put down the pressure on ilegal wild collected plants in the black market around....lets go for the spectacular hybrids coming!

how long does a Pk flower usually last? And the St Ouen? The next interesting things to learn will be what the life span of the bloom will be, and if it will prove fertile....

isaias m rolando said:
This is the beguining of a new era for Phrag hybrids:THE PK ERA. It is also interesting to quote that the pollen used here was PK and of course the mother plant was St Ouen.

That makes sense, but everywhere I see them listed including Piping Rocks site, PK is listed as the capsule parent. I thought that was unusual, but the people who are writing it should know the correct way to right it.

Which is it?

Becasue it does make a difference.

Yes sir, it makes a big diference to use the pollen or PK as mother plant. Mr Decker has both because CJM orchids did both flasks. There are no "mistakes " here. The plants do not look like boisserianum or caudatum var wallisi...and the flowers for sure are truly kovachii hybrids...
Perhaps it could be more interesting for you to know that CJM Orchids has Phrag hybrids growing in their collection since 1996, when the Int Orchid Shows in Lima and some presentations in Miami area (Redland), Los Angeles, New York and other cities in the US. All these years the selection of Phrag hybrids were legally imported to Peru. You can ask INRENA about these importations. There are records of them.
If anybody is willing to offer a diferent version for legal stock of PK and legally imported and exported Phrag Hybrids has to prove it. There are no other legal importation for Phrags, according to INRENA data on Phrag Hybrids, requiring CITES II documents at Lima airport. CJM Orchids is the only bussines with all Phrags (species and hybrids) growing in legal conditions.

gonewild said:
Ron, can you post a picture showing the whole plant and flower?
the picture I took of this was with a flash and I was unhappy with the color. I found that natural light was better for my camera with this plant. So ignore the flower color
withplant.jpg

Heather said:
Pablo just registered here today and posted that link here (earlier in this thread) also. You might want to send him a note, Ron.
Yea, I missed that earlier posting. When I realized it was there, I came back to edit my post, but am too late.

Whose ever photos they are, the flowers are gorgeous. I am totally in love...:smitten:

SlipperFan said:
These are yours????
"Pictures published with authorization of Alfredo Manrique"
Dot if you check page one..you will see the same pics that I posted here today

When Pablo posted the link this morning the other pictures weren't on the site just the first picture which Glen took and most likely e-mailed to Alfredo, you(Heather), and me last night. The bud pictures I took weeks ago, the flower opening shot I took on Tues and the flower shots I took this morning.

My pictures must have been downloaded from this forum for I haven't shared them with anyone except through the forums. It really doesn't bother me that they are being used. I know Alfredo Manrique and consider him a friend.

Ron-NY said:
...just the first picture which Glen took and most likely e-mailed to Alfredo, you, and me last night.
No -- someone posted the link to that page on the OGD. I happened to be looking at the picture on page 3 of this thread when the OGD came to my computer. I thought it was timely, so posted the link. Actually, I thought I had read the first two pages of this thread last night, so I went directly to page 3. It turned out I hadn't. (I need an "embarassed" smiley...)

The photos are very nice, Ron. I suspect Alfredo thought it OK to post them since you sent them to him. Why don't you ask him to give you a credit line. That would certainly be fair.

It is no big issue. I am happy to share.
The thing is I didn't send my pics to Alfredo yet. I was going to send him a link to this page but haven't gotten around to it. So, I think Pablo took it upon himself to download my pics from this forum all but the first pic with the black background Alfredo didn't have.

He needs to make it right and correct his wording...sounds like he's saying they are his photos. Friend or not.

It has been cool watching this one develope..I can't wait to see some of the sibs bloom and it won't be too much longer until we see a couple of the other crosses.

Candace said:
He needs to make it right and correct his wording...sounds like he's saying they are his photos. Friend or not.
Actually, I think it might have been done by Pablo...I have written him a PM. Things are done a little different in Peru ;)

This is an exiting development, good job Ron, you must be a very proud parent.

Latest posts

Back