Kovachii x Saint Ouen lives!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnndc

Time for a Kovachii update - anyone else got pics of how their species or crosses are doing? I got two Kovachii x Saint Ouen crosses from Piping Rock. Knock on wood, they're both growing and surviving now that we're, what, about 2 months in.

I'm growing mine in sphag, in a small open-topped plastic thingy. And have diatomite in about 2 inches of water below them, to hopefully add a bit of humidity. They're quite happy, knock on wood.

Click image for larger pic.

Hi, I took mine out of the sphagnum that I got them from Piping Rock and put them in a mix since I grow semi Hydro and some of the roots didnt look too good. Check out the photos from GoneWild. [They're inspirational]

I unpotted them to check the roots, the roots were very good, small, but good - and then repotted into my own sphag.

Also. If you're interested GoneWild and Littlefrog have some besseae hybrids from Chuck Ackers that are also usually available as flasks!!! You must buy some, you must buy some...:crazy:

Eric, what other post? I've searched around this site and have no idea what post you're talking about. Link?

Ah okay, thanks Heather. I'd say those roots from Gone Wild are better. But mine were okay. And those are species I believe, mine is a hybrid Kovachii x St Ouen, so not sure how to compare that, haven't seen anyone else's roots from that cross. I do know that the species is harder to grow, so I didn't buy that. And it's exspensive as hell!

Growing.

Since, I'm assuming, that we all got our plants at the same time I'm curious to see who blooms theirs first. Does anyone know how long before first bloom is expected? And I'm also curious as to how everyone is fertilizing. E. :confused:

NYEric said:
Since, I'm assuming, that we all got our plants at the same time I'm curious to see who blooms theirs first. Does anyone know how long before first bloom is expected? And I'm also curious as to how everyone is fertilizing. E. :confused:

I would guess they are 1-2 years from blooming depending on how well they are grown. Some of the first plants from these crosses might bloom in another year, but most will be sometime after that.

Phrags don't need lots of fertilizer, if any.....Good water is most important thing along with a fresh mix.

I'm watering with distilled water, since I don't have RO. Haven't been fertilizing much - getting the pH down a bit below 7.

Latest posts

Back