kovachii x Living Fire

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
Well... It is big! I didn't measure it, but maybe 6" natural spread. The color isn't really accurate. It is more purple than the camera wants to recognize, a very odd color. So that is what it has going for it, but the form isn't all that good. Glen Decker says he hasn't registered it yet, but will soon.

Ph_kovachii_x_LF.jpg

Well... It is big! I didn't measure it, but maybe 6" natural spread. The color isn't really accurate. It is more purple than the camera wants to recognize, a very odd color. So that is what it has going for it, but the form isn't all that good. Glen Decker says he hasn't registered it yet, but will soon.

Ph_kovachii_x_LF.jpg

Very nice, how come you don't register it, if you flower it?
as long as you credit the originator hybridizer

Actually Glen flowered it first, as far as I know. Regardless, it is the hybridizer's right to name it. They can allow you to name the cross if they wish, but you may not name a cross without the hybridizer's permission (even if you credit them) if you have any reasonable way of determining who the hybridizer is.

Besides, I would just name it something stupid.

Hien, the person who made the cross is given first shot at naming it. Since Glen is the breeder he can register it and pay the fee. Many hybridizers only choose to name their better crosses due to the registration costs involved and will let someone else go through the process. But, permission is needed from the hybridizer.

Any idea what might be improved upon with next blooming? Wider, flatter petals? or is that asking too much? I have one so will be interesting to see how it turns out.
What would happen with the color if it were on a white or blue background?

Any idea what might be improved upon with next blooming? Wider, flatter petals? or is that asking too much? I have one so will be interesting to see how it turns out.
What would happen with the color if it were on a white or blue background?

I was hoping the petals would grow a bit as the flower matured. This has been true to some extent. I think perfectly flat petals is pushing it for this cross, but it would be nice. The plant is quite big now, so I don't know how much of an improvement I'll get on the next blooming. But I have more buds on the spike, color might improve as the weather gets cooler. Fair warning, this thing stayed in bud for well over a month before it finally opened. Way too long when you are anxious.

I should probably play with backgrounds. Good idea.

Just was wondering. This is the gamble we take! We know just by the law of averages- 1/3 should be like kovachii, 1/3 like Living Fire & 1/3 down the middle of the two! Which third do we want? and which third do we end up with?! I think this one is the middle - color & size of kovachii, form of Living Fire. The other way to look at it is, could it be worse? Certainly!

It's OK. I'm sorry you can't post the color better but I think it has something to do w/ the 'hairs' being pigmented more than the cells underneath. When I get the album Sarah Eadie I'll either send the bloom or some pollen. E.

I almost has this one but at the last minute, changed it for PK X Walter Schomburg...now I'm glad I did. I agree that the form leaves a bit to be desired.

:poke:and are we certain that the schomburg X will be better?

I can't understand you! I think thios i a very beautiful form and a lovely colour. What is it about the form that you don't like?

Yeah, I really like the graceful waves of the petals, it would be a shame to have them just flat.

It has been a very variable cross. Some of the flowers have been stunning some not as stunning. Most have been pink but a few have been red. I like the frill to the edges on some from this cross. The proportion of yours is a bit iffy but may be better on the next blooming.

Why do people like flat...we are not dealing with Catts here but Phrags.

The three partners in this adventure have agreed to alternate the naming of these hybrids. Glen has named 2 of them, Alfredo one and Fritz one. I believe it is Fritz's turn to name this one but has not offered a name as of yet.

The Walter Schombergs have been fairly consistent in color and shape.

You Are Right Ron
Hybridizer Are Glen Decker, Fritz Schomburg And Alfredo Manrique. I Remember Glen Did This Particular Cross At Alfredo's Pk And Phrag Collection, End Of Year 2003 Or 04.
To My Taste I Also Prefer Pk X Walter Schomburg ( Phrag Alfredo Manrique) And Haley Decker. But Judges Have Already Awarded Phrag Suzanne Decker With An Am At Redlands Past May.
I Think Glen Is Writing An Article To Appear In Orchids-aos Magazine Soon.

At least one more bud. So we will see. Actually looking at it again last night (I took the picture Saturday), the form has improved a bit. I don't mind the wavy petals, what I objected to was that they face up instead of forward. And the dorsal is pinched and reflexed at the base. I'm happy with it though, and it is certainly a step in a different direction than just another besseae hybrid (as much as I love besseae hybrids...).

congratulations littlefrog
and thank you so much for the excellent picture and with no doubt excellent culture conditions.
you are so wright....this is just another direction in phragmipedium hybridization.

At least one more bud. So we will see. Actually looking at it again last night (I took the picture Saturday), the form has improved a bit. I don't mind the wavy petals, what I objected to was that they face up instead of forward. And the dorsal is pinched and reflexed at the base. I'm happy with it though, and it is certainly a step in a different direction than just another besseae hybrid (as much as I love besseae hybrids...).

This is a necessary step towards the next generation of kovachii hybrids. I'm sure there were plenty of bess x's that weren't what was expected. Look at all of them now & they're still improving on them!

Latest posts

Back