kovachii x Living Fire

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jorch:
just to inform you that those PK hybrids with no besseae or schlimii gene pool are very slow growers. So we will have to wait to see them.

Eric:
appaerently Glen has not registered yet this particular Living Fire X PK. Probably he is in the process of doing it, if not already done.

One thing we have to be careful with these hybrids is getting over the novelty of the large size and pink shades. Judges should use some caution until a fair population of these crosses have been seen. That being said, congratulations on the award, it appears that size and color carried the day!

I definitely agree with that.

e-spice

As a judge, it is very difficult not to get caught up in the latest craze.

I was on the Paph ribbon judging team at the Mass. show today (NOT AOS JUDGING) and we had a HARD time with Glen's kov. hybrids because a) they're first bloom seedlings b) the form's not great c) the colors are not great on some and d) they're extremely variable!

I finally said what Slippertalker said - maybe we need to step back and wait and see and not award too many kov. crosses too fast. It may very well be TOO EARLY TO TELL.

They listened to me, and we didn't ribbon a few that were contenders - they were too variable.

Glen's a friend and I felt kind of bad but you need to have some objectivity, and there was nothing else to compare them with and I, now that I've seen them in person, I really think we're too early in this game to make too many lasting decisions.

Don't get me wrong here - I'd be happy owning a few of them, and personally, I like the curlier petals but I think next year or a few generations from now we're going to have a whole different ballgame on our hands.

Look at the roth. breeding being done now...

I would think if the forms not great nor is the color, that would have made things a bit easier!

Hmmmm..some interesting comments but If a bloom is submitted for ribbon judging and it has large size, color and form isn't it due an award. "..oh, well in comparison to the one we saw, it's not awardable.." doesn't work in that case. IMO

Latest posts

Back