kovachii x Living Fire

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from what I know; the original batch of Walter Schomburgs was (Eric Young 'Mount Milais' a proven 4N x Andean Fire 'Michelle Lee' also a proven 4N). The Eic Young was karyotyped 4N, the Andean Fire was tested by a guard cell measurement method. This means generally all the Walter Schomburg seedlings should have been 4N (skip the exceptions). One would expect the kovachii hybrid (kovachii x Water Schomburg 4N) to be 3N, with the extra set chromosomes coming from the Walter Schomburg. Think flat as a board. Or at least one can hope. So yes, a lot of us hope this cross will be better than the Living Fire cross. But until you bloom the ones you actually have, don't know for sure. Its like playing the Lottery. "Do you feel Lucky?"
Leo

Update: This plant was awarded this weekend (an AM of 80 points). So now I need to get a name for it.

The color (and size) trumped the form. Our resident 'pink-o-phile' scored it a bit too high, I think. :poke: (sandy, you still reading this forum?). The form actually is pretty good, the petals are wavy but perfectly symmetrical as of judging. The dorsal is what kept the score down.

Update: This plant was awarded this weekend (an AM of 80 points). So now I need to get a name for it.

The color (and size) trumped the form. Our resident 'pink-o-phile' scored it a bit too high, I think. :poke: (sandy, you still reading this forum?). The form actually is pretty good, the petals are wavy but perfectly symmetrical as of judging. The dorsal is what kept the score down.

:clap::clap::clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What a trip! Look how critical we can be! ;););)
Should the dorsal have been a bit bigger? flatter?

Congratulations Rob! I think the flower is very interesting and sounds like it is huge but I'm really surprised about the award due to the form.

e-spice

and that's what they compare it to - right? They have to start somewhere & as Rob pointed out form is not the only part of the judging criteria. The flower is symmetrical, you may not like the wavy petals but apparently it didn't bother some. Remember when Rob first posted he indicated that the color that we see was not the actual color. If presented to a different panel, how would it fare? Would it still have enough points for a AM?

One thing we have to be careful with these hybrids is getting over the novelty of the large size and pink shades. Judges should use some caution until a fair population of these crosses have been seen. That being said, congratulations on the award, it appears that size and color carried the day!

Congratulations Rob! thank you again for sharing your excelent picture.
Definetively there is a long, long way and this is just the start.
But judges will have to redefine what they spect for these hybrids. To think they have awarded with 96, and 97 point ( FCCs) to some excelent clones of Phrag Jason Fisher. Now, when these PK hybrids get adult size will show all their potential.... it must be very hard to be a judge in this position....

As a judge, it is very difficult not to get caught up in the latest craze. This has happened in the past with various genera and is continued here. Consider the awards to vinicolor paphs over time, Paph armeniacum/micranthum, Phrag besseae to see the trend. Whenever there is exciting new breeding material, the judges get as excited as the general public and need to be a bit cautious so the bar isn't incorrectly set. Of course, the level could be as easily set high as low, but that isn't normally the case with new lines of breeding.

I don't think 80 points is high. But again it's new so the judges had to start somewhere. There are now 8 Pk crosses registered but I've only seen 3 or 4, who/when will the rest be seen? [Not to mention judged]

I've seen photos of some of the rest of them and they are very interesting, the different species are having an effect of the color. Remember, all the pictures we've seen to date have besseae in the back ground. The other hybrids have non micropetulm species in the background.

The pictures arn't mine, and I don't have permission to share them.

Kyle

Kyle, you could maybe post a link to the pictures, that isn't wrong!?!

wow, would be interesting to see a PK crossed with a non-bessae species/hybrid! Kyle, would it be possible to at least let us know the parents of the other 3-4 hybrids? :poke::wink:

Back