kovachii x besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plant was about half the size I expected! I saw two or three other buds waiting in line!

Jason, just put me on the payroll. You know how to pay me!

The hot sake was flowing again Friday at Siam Paragon! Allen and I stopped there after the show to talk about the Pk hybrid and other fine plants we saw at the Durham, NC show!

Carter & Holmes had a PRIMO roth there in their display. I believe it had 5 buds but only had two fully open and one half way open at the time of the show. They also had a selfing of roth "Chester Hills" in bloom on a sales table as a sample plant with young seedlings of the same selfing.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks!

Thank you Mr Fisher.

Definetively if we could obtain permits to export just PK pollen, it could slow down the pressure on ilegal collecting of the PK wild population, agree?

I personally think there is still time to protect what is left in the wild.

Perhaps we should all try to teach and convince CITES authorities in Peru, USA and elsewhere to allow the legal growers to be able to export pollen....

I have to admit, while this flowering is really exciting. I think perhaps this flower is a little ugly and disappointing *gasp*. But this is just my opinion. Sorry!

I've enjoyed viewing the PK results. I think there are positive advances there in that line of breeding. I think that PK as a parent will be even clearer when the seedlings of PK crossed with the Long Petal Phrags start to bloom. We all know what the flowers are like when PB is used, fabulous. PK with the PB family is almost like line breeding, we could almost guess the results. One thing that hasn't been discussed lately is the "prime conditions" required to grow these PK x seedlings out of flask, we have been shown them growing and what they are in but fertiliser, temp, light ??? how about some of that please.
Roy

Roy said:
I think that PK as a parent will be even clearer when the seedlings of PK crossed with the Long Petal Phrags start to bloom.

Roy,

You are so right. I am eagerly awaiting the hybrids of Pk x long petals to bloom out, more so than any of these other crosses. I think those will be really super. I think, that direction of Pk breeding will make a huge impact on the Phrag hybridisation world.

Lien

Garland,

You're scaring us with that picture! That must have been before the hot sake!

Isaias,

I think it would be a great idea for other countries to allow export of pollen. If all countries made it easy to export and import orchids in vitro and via pollen, perhaps it would help decrease the de-forestation and black market of jungle plants.

The flower fell off the kov x bess today, the closing day of the show. I'm trying to find out how long it was open. The mall environment wasn't the best on any flowers.

HP told me that he had already used the pollen form this flower to pollinate 6 or so other plants. Knowing him, I'm sure he has crossed it back to one his fine besseaes, among others!

It was fun to see this plant in person! Enjoy your upcoming visits to HP's place. I'm sure you'll see this one and perhaps the other two plants that will be blooming soon!

OK Mr Fisher

Lets work on education with CITES authorities at either side and perhaps we can convince them to allow to export parts, deal?

Have you all a fine week

Slipperhead said:
HP told me that he had already used the pollen form this flower to pollinate 6 or so other plants. Knowing him, I'm sure he has crossed it back to one his fine besseaes, among others!
That's the good thing about growing where HP is, it's so warm there are almost always blooms on the plants.

ANOTHER kov x besseae

HP's second kov x bess is in flower. I have a picture of it on my laptop. It is about the same color but shaped more like besseae. I'll try to post it later.

Good morning Garland
Could you please ask Mr HP what they used as pod parent?
Thanks
Isaias

I hate to go against the grain, but I was hoping to see something larger, with more of the kovachii influence and presence, color, and size. Not that I have anything against bessese; I love them. I was just hoping for someting more radical, I guess.

It probably takes patience. I looked up what kovachii hybrid seedlings cost, and decided that I'd better wait! :rollhappy: I would not want to kill one.

OK: I did see some more photos (after I opened my big mouth) and can see that the hybrids have taken on more size.

With that said, I'm looking forward to seeing kovachii and long petaled Phrag hybrids. Would love to see the color of kovachii combined with a long petaled Phrag!!!

Following parallel besseae crosses, my guess is that the crosses of kovachii with sargentianum and longifolium will give the most vigor and a sequential flowering habit like Phrag Memoria Dick Clements and Phrag Eric Young. The following backcrosses to kovachii will be spectacular....
Whether kovachii is dominant in it's crosses still remains to be seen, but it sure will be interesting to see the results.

Back