kovachii x besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Slipperhead

Folks,
HP Norton has a blooming kovachii x besseae at the Triangle Orchid Show in Durham, NC now through Sunday.

Here is the note I got this morning about it:

"11cm wide and should get a little bigger by tomorrow as it just opened. HP was disappointed in the color as it lacked the intensity of besseae and the purple of Kovachii. But otherwise it shows promise of things to come. He has five more in spike. He's already taken a pollen sac from it and the next generation will be on the way soon"

I will see it later this morning.

Garland

Kovachiixbesseae.jpg

Interesting how dominant besseae is for form on this cross. Whereas Pk was totally dominant for form on the St. Ouen cross.

Very interesting,

I could be wrong, but I think its besseae x kovachii. If its possible, could you ask HP if thats the case. I thought Peruflora didn't make any hybrids with kovachii carring the pod.

That might explain why besseae dominates so much.

Kyle

Kyle said:
I could be wrong, but I think its besseae x kovachii...That might explain why besseae dominates so much.

I also wonder if the besseae parent was a diploid or tetraploid.

Slipperhead said:
Folks,
HP Norton has a blooming kovachii x besseae at the Triangle Orchid Show in Durham, NC now through Sunday.

Garland, who made the cross? I do not remember seeing it offered on either Nueveo Destino's, Peruflora's, or CJM's hybrid lists.

Perhaps it was offered, but I missed it?

Peter

I'll probably get yelled at...

The Peruflora flasks were availalbe about 6 or more months before the others....

Kyle said:
Peter it was offered by Peruflora

Kyle, I am certain you are right.

Where were they offered? Not in Dijon France and not on any
Peruflora list I saw.

P K cross's coming to the front now but ?

Yes in this one besseae is the most promindant - but the St Ouens cross I think looks better ? are there any sizes of the flowers of these cross's ?

Please forgive my ignorance but when were these made ?was it from the original plants collected pollen ?to me the time frame is out

I received a seedling Sept 2001 of EYF 4n Sunset glow X it with a besseae in Dec 2005 and have just now Jan 07 received my flasks of small seedlings it now will take at least 3yrs for the largest of these to flower.How do we have flowering size crosses of PK ?
I'm sorry if this ? is odd but I just don't see how the time frame works . P K must have been worked with earlier ??
can someone explain to me please
Billie

lienluu said:
Interesting how dominant besseae is for form on this cross. Whereas Pk was totally dominant for form on the St. Ouen cross.

I was thinking the same, esp with the PK as the pod plant. To be honest I was expecting more. Still nice though. Thank you for the Post!

These are supposedly made with the original 'legal' plant's pollen, yes. So we have not waited for a generation of Pk seedlings to mature and then used them in the hybrid. I don't think it is all that unusual to see a phrag hybrid bloom two years out of flask, but three is probably more likely. Except for big things like caudatum, they take longer.

Billie said:
Yes in this one besseae is the most promindant - but the St Ouens cross I think looks better ? are there any sizes of the flowers of these cross's ?

Please forgive my ignorance but when were these made ?was it from the original plants collected pollen ?to me the time frame is out

I received a seedling Sept 2001 of EYF 4n Sunset glow X it with a besseae in Dec 2005 and have just now Jan 07 received my flasks of small seedlings it now will take at least 3yrs for the largest of these to flower.How do we have flowering size crosses of PK ?
I'm sorry if this ? is odd but I just don't see how the time frame works . P K must have been worked with earlier ??
can someone explain to me please
Billie

NYEric said:
Maybe it wasn't made w/ the deeper purple Pk? I hope I get one in spike!
It has been discussed that the color of kovachii changes with maturity of the flower. I have seen the pic of that deep purple one and wonder if it appears that deeply colored due to the lighting and not the flower color.

Thanks for the post Garland!

The one thing I'd like to see is the actual parents used for breeding. We know what kovachii looks like, but I would like to see the quality of besseae used as that will have a major factor on the offspring.

Ron-NY said:
It has been discussed that the color of kovachii changes with maturity of the flower. I have seen the pic of that deep purple one and wonder if it appears that deeply colored due to the lighting and not the flower color.

From a photographic standpoint if you look closely at Perufloras images of their different colors of kovachii you can see the color balances are not correct. In one image the foliage is blue green which is unnatural, adjust the color balance to make the foliage a natural color and the flower color suddenly looks like the "normal" kovachii color. I think kovachii comes in one color flavor.

Peruflora AND CJM have made this cross, at different times. Seedlings offered by CJM (Manrique) used kovachii as the pod parent. They were available back in Aug 2006 from Piping Rock.

The flasks imported from CJM in early 2006 were over-grown due to beaurocratic delays. If I heard it right they had been ready to take out of flask as early as July 2005, but red tape held up their export. It is very possible a few seedlings are starting to bloom now, if handled well once out of flask, from what I heard there were a number of rather large seedlings in the oldest of the flasks imported.

Leo

Latest posts

Back