kovachii spiking??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautifully grown plant and worth the effort! I'm no kovachii fan but it is always thrilling to see a spike emerge and buds swelling and colouring. The flower looks flawless, so I think the rhs committee should be delighted!

Thanks for sharing with us the progress of this plant!

Beautifully grown plant and worth the effort! I'm no kovachii fan but it is always thrilling to see a spike emerge and buds swelling and colouring. The flower looks flawless, so I think the rhs committee should be delighted!

Thanks for sharing with us the progress of this plant!

unsuccessful !!!! never mind it's only a plant!!

Ed

Ed,
you are up against stiff opposition from the EYOF.
They have had at least one AM and one FCC to my knowledge from this species,
David

Hi David. It really doesn't matter, the plant is mine ( came from EYOF ) and
I will try and grow it on ( 5 new growths ) and present it with multiple blooms
---- in my dreams!!

Ed

You could try in Germany. I've seen photographs of 1st prize kovachiis with deformations... !:evil:

Wow!! That is very nice, well done!!

I'm still wating for my big clump to bloom. It grows more and more but no spike yet!!

What temperature is your greenhouse area? I mean, do you grow it cold or warm? From what I've been told, and found useful, is that kovachii needs to be grown in the cool section. Also, it likes to have on the one hand acidic water, but limestone schist at the roots. These factors, if not present, could have an impact I would think on such things as the dorsal colour. At least, that would be my guess.

What temperature is your greenhouse area? I mean, do you grow it cold or warm? From what I've been told, and found useful, is that kovachii needs to be grown in the cool section. Also, it likes to have on the one hand acidic water, but limestone schist at the roots. These factors, if not present, could have an impact I would think on such things as the dorsal colour. At least, that would be my guess.

I have my greenhouse at the minimum temp of 13c and the temp rises according to the outside weather. I guess you could call it intermediate to warm. Phrag kovachii grows in the tropical part of the Andes --- or so I'm lead to believe. I do water with rain water/tap water which gives me a pH of roughly 6.9. And I mix oyster shell into the compost. Every month I feed a little calcium nitrate,ammonium sulphate and liquid seaweed but only in minimal amounts.
Ed

Ed

Hi Ed, I just wonder if it would prefer to grow cooler. Yes, it is the tropics, but it grows way up in the mountains where it is cooler. Jerry Fischer at Orchids Ltd told me early on to be sure to grow them cool, and that's what I have done, and they do seem to like it. That colour in the dorsal just strikes me as possibly being temperature related. By the way it is also very windy where it grows, not that we can do much about that..!

Latest posts

Back