Kovachii seedling

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxC

Reaction score
Kovachii a Chuck Acker seedling deflasked 10/19, not by me. Seedling was a little beat up in shipping, which happens. I have had it for about a month. Took off a lower leaf today and noticed two bumps. Are those new roots? Planning to repot tonight in rockwool and wondering how low to put in my medium.

My attempt to zoom in using a jeweler's loupe. Hope that it is clear enough to see in close.

Max

Attachments

• 20200214_143621.jpg
    20200214_143621.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200214_143528.jpg
    20200214_143528.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200214_143520.jpg
    20200214_143520.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 42
David, thank you. New roots make me happy and I needed a second opinion to temper my excitement. Was the original potting just seated too high from the medium?

"Drumlin Dream x Ken', curious to see how it is doing compared to others from this cross. Updated pic from today.

Attachments

• 20200412_122528.jpg
    20200412_122528.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 22
This is a very good-growing sib cross (so far) in my opinion (I have some too). I wish you the best of luck!
BTW, sometimes the media just settles. You just gotta keep on eye on it.
Please keep posting and let us know how it goes and what you are doing to help it thrive!

I have a flask of this cross as well. Very vigorous growers - I have a thread on this I’ll update soon with photos.

These seedlings came out pretty leggy. I feel like they grew faster than they could’ve been replated - I’ve repotted the compots once already because new roots were growing from higher nodes. They were first potted mid September. I expect they’ll need to be repotted a couple times more.

I think Ken x self was also offered recently

I have a flask of this cross as well. Very vigorous growers - I have a thread on this I’ll update soon with photos.

These seedlings came out pretty leggy. I feel like they grew faster than they could’ve been replated - I’ve repotted the compots once already because new roots were growing from higher nodes. They were first potted mid September. I expect they’ll need to be repotted a couple times more.

I think Ken x self was also offered recently
Does kovachii eventually do the “climby” thing like some besseae?

Does kovachii eventually do the “climby” thing like some besseae?

No they don’t from what I’ve seen. Well they don’t have a “stoloniferous” growth habit that is.

I think the trouble comes with growing them to maturity. The leaf axil is constantly growing upwards as new leaves emerge. As the old weak leaves die off the stem is left exposed giving a leggy appearance. You can sort of see in this photo below.

That compot has since been repotted burried lower leaves and all. They spend most of their time in a plastic bag so the new root tips don’t dry out.

Maybe some of the more experienced Phrag people can chime in about this.

- Paul

69DED75E-B94E-4670-AC72-3EA2C0F21746.jpeg

Back