kovachii report

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Hello,

I received last may 2 flasks of P. kovachii (5 plants in each) from Peruflora, 1 Jewel x Goliath and 1 Tupac Amaru x Maximus

Here is what the flasks looked like: :mad:

pk1ue7.jpg

pk2ju6.jpg

When deflasked (into rockwool first), it looked liked this (06-02-2007)

kovac2uf6.jpg

kovac1ip3.jpg

Then, 08-24-2007:

kova2408vz1.jpg

Then for phytosanitary reasons, I put them into fine bark + sphagnum (prevents from bacteria), with little dolomite powder, and now they look very good, they are growing faster each month!:rollhappy:
11-18-2007:

dsc06035ya8.jpg

dsc06036xi7.jpg

dsc06037ij5.jpg

There is one single plants in some photos, it's another cross (Tupac Amaru x other very selected parent). I bought it last year, and I rescued it from death last winter (rot, I don't how it survived!!)

Congratulations on saving what you have. Your Inspection Officers are rather easy in letting those flasks through. I am told by our customs and quarantine inspection people that if a flask like yours comes into the country they will dispose of it regardless of contamination or not.

Congratulations Paul.
Very good culture practices and succes.
I only hope there were "no mistakes in the lab" for your nice looking plants. There is so much to come as for PK hybrids. We all want to see nnice pictures of well grown sedlings.
We all must try to convince authorities that it is so hard to get this plants and try new ideas for inspection and phitosanitary control.
Have a nice weekend

Congratulations Paul.
Very good culture practices and succes.
I only hope there were "no mistakes in the lab" for your nice looking plants. There is so much to come as for PK hybrids. We all want to see nnice pictures of well grown sedlings.
We all must try to convince authorities that it is so hard to get this plants and try new ideas for inspection and phitosanitary control.
Have a nice weekend

Well, Peruflora told me there is no mistake possible for the flasks I received, but I will be sure only when the plants will bloom (if they continue to live and grow of course!)
I fertilize this way: water 200µS/cm + 28-14-14 at 140ppm of N, once a week (600µS/cm total conductivity)
water + 10-52-10 at 50 ppm of N + superthrive, once every 5 or 6 weeks
!!!NEVER!!! let dry

They aren't supposed to let flasks with dark media through to the U.S. anymore. Charcoal is used and it makes it very dark and agents don't like not being able to see if there is "anything" in the dark media being imported. When I imported some flasks abouut 4 years ago from Thailand they were in the dark medium and I received a letter from customs warning me that in another few months these type flasks would be refused at customs.

So, flasks now usually are imported in the light, transparent mediums.

Interesting, thanks for the tips/info Candace.

Eric, do you know if that is the problem that Peruflora is having.

Kyle

That is correct.
Is not a Peruflora problem or anybody else.
It does matter with dark medium in flasks, usually with charcoal.
Now, everybody recomends to import to US in cristal clear gels. This adds one extra replate to PKs and hybrids wich are normally grown in medium with charcoal.
Be careful and good succes with your babies.
Have a nice weekend

Paul
Take a look to CJM orchids recomendations. Specially to add Ca, Mg, Mn, Boro and others very special microelements. You will note the diferences when using them

http://electricorchid.blogspot.com/g them.

Good luck and succes

Hello Isaias,
I didn't find the CJM recomendations, could you show me a link where to find it, please?

Ca and Mg, I give them dolomite (contains a lot of Ca and Mg and buffers the pH to 7)
I can give them Mn and B with a special fertiliser that I sometimes use for my sanderianum, but I have a few last

Thank you

Mr Alfredo Manrique will talk about PK culture and other tips at the WOC. Are you going to MIami next January?

Latest posts

Back