kovachii first bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theorchidzone

Reaction score
Here is a first bloom kovachii from Peruflora.
Extraordinary color!!! Shape could be better.
For those who ask, the color in the photo is essentially accurate. In fact the color in person may be darker!

Those petals are wonderful! Abax will like that the dorsal sepal is more in proportion with the rest of the flower. I like that too. A very nice acquisition, especially if the plant produces flowers that are a little bit more "butch" on the next inflorescence. Definately a clone worth reblooming to see what it can really do. Good luck!

Lovely for sure!
and those interesting petals that are held above the horizontal line.

Do flowers of this species always curl up over the few days or??

You're right John. I do like the dorsal being a bit more in
proportion to the rest of the flower. I'd love to see another
view. The pouch looks a bit squished in, but that may be
the angle of the photo. The color is fantastic. I didn't even notice the lines until Dot pointed them out. First bloom isn't usually the best
bloom anyway.

I haven't seen enough to generalize 100%. But some definitely have less of a tendency to do so. So I think that issue can be bred out.
Temperature also affects flower quality, so I was very worried as Central California has been rather warm the last two weeks. Better flowers in cooler temps I think.
I took this pic on Saturday. I'll report back on Monday if there is a major change.
JC

Lovely for sure!
and those interesting petals that are held above the horizontal line.

Do flowers of this species always curl up over the few days or??

Back