kovachii / diatomite

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The older leaves start turning yellow after a few days with the temperature above 90 degrees. It has an immediate effect on kovachii of all sizes. If I can avoid this, mature plants can accumulate 3-4 years of old growth and will bloom every year. The granular limestone I use is about the size of fine sand. It doesn't wash out of the Orchiata as quickly as powdered dolomite.

My first kovachii were slow growers, but all of the recent flasks, mostly from Chuck Acker, have been very robust growers. I think these flasks are 4th generation US kovachii and my oldest plant is 2nd generation US kovachii. Mike
Mine are all from the Laura x Ana cross which I believe makes them first gen plants? I assume u saw the pix in the original post of my awarded one? It's in spike currently but is a single fan plant. Well there are a few almost dead older leaves. Interesting about the 90+ degrees issue. I may turn down the temp that my cooling exhaust fans come on at. I'll also watch mine next summer. And I may have to buy another flask :) I really appreciate you sharing the temp issue - I've always wondered why mine don't accumulate old growths.

Mine do well in a mix of Rockwool cubes, oyster shell, calcium rock, small bark and charcoal. Live moss on top. I never adjust PH.

The older leaves start turning yellow after a few days with the temperature above 90 degrees. It has an immediate effect on kovachii of all sizes. If I can avoid this, mature plants can accumulate 3-4 years of old growth and will bloom every year. The granular limestone I use is about the size of fine sand. It doesn't wash out of the Orchiata as quickly as powdered dolomite.

My first kovachii were slow growers, but all of the recent flasks, mostly from Chuck Acker, have been very robust growers. I think these flasks are 4th generation US kovachii and my oldest plant is 2nd generation US kovachii. Mike
Chuck creates some amazing crosses!

Yes, now that you say that, it's obvious :)
:D
It didn’t occur to me until I’d read the whole thread and saw where someone else ‘reset’ their diatomite by washing and baking. Otherwise…. Clueless 👍😎
Also if people put their plants in big clay pots staying damp in a little water and kept fan on it, or made a zeer pot system, it could help keep the plant cooler

I "Grow stone was not the main product. It was opals. When they stopped they stopped mining.

This may not be entirely true. If you can also sell the byproduct without the gems why would you stop mining? I heard there was a dispute in a divorce proceeding that led to the NZ diatomite drying up.

This may not be entirely true. If you can also sell the byproduct without the gems why would you stop mining? I heard there was a dispute in a divorce proceeding that led to the NZ diatomite drying up.

Hey! :) from what i recall, you mentioned once that you separate out your diatomite while repotting and 'process' it for re-use. Do i remember that correctly? and if so, would you care to comment on what your 'processing' for re-use is?

I find my Kovachii hybrids HATE heat! After a beastly summer of incredibly high 90’s for the majority of the summer, I have nothing but roots left of my Fritz Schomberg! Sniff! The rest at delighted fall is here

Hey! :) from what i recall, you mentioned once that you separate out your diatomite while repotting and 'process' it for re-use. Do i remember that correctly? and if so, would you care to comment on what your 'processing' for re-use is?
I do my best to clean the organic bits off and I certainly don't do a perfect job. Then I rinse it sometimes soak it for a bit in water. Then I spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven until it's hot and dry.

I bought my diatomite originally from orchidmix.com. There's still a link on his main catalog page for it but not on the resulting page. I asked him about it and he said: "Grow stone was not the main product. It was opals. When they stopped they stopped mining. They can be reused by backing them. Another material similar is grow stone but not as good. They stopped producing for a while but were purchased by another company. They are sold still as grow stone and also as BuddyStone. I do not carry it." Not sure what he means by "backing them". I have been re-using my diatomite by washing then heating in the oven for awhile. I haven't looked up grow stone or buddy stone yet.
[/Q

I find my Kovachii hybrids HATE heat! After a beastly summer of incredibly high 90’s for the majority of the summer, I have nothing but roots left of my Fritz Schomberg! Sniff! The rest at delighted fall is here

What do folks grow kovachii in now? I've got some old plants (from 2007) that I've got growing in diatomite and I either need more of it or need to use a different medium? He's my awarded kovachii for attention :) It's in spike right now...View attachment 29970
I’d search on the AOS website, as I remember an article in the monthly Orchids Mag., I think, saying not to use diatomite. I cant remember if it was just on phrags, or everything. I bought some, as it was recommended by someone in the local society who was selling small bags, but saw the article and never used it. It was a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Back