kovachii "Bogotano"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteson

Phragmad
Reaction score
This is a first blooming plant. I think that it is from Alfredo Manrique but I am not sure because I lost the tag . I got from him few tiny plants about 7 years ago and killed most part of them before our move to colder climate.
It is not so big (6 inch) but I think that it is going to be a decent one.
321bdb9f12458088412215ddbdc9e139.jpg

I think this one looks quite excellent. Full form, quite flat, dark color, excellent pouch color. My only minor criticism is the slight folding back on the petal bases. On a larger plant it should bloom better and may have somewhat better form. Flower quality also depends on flowering these in cool conditions, although it sounds like you bloomed it cool
15cm is decent. They tend to get bigger as they expand and lose their form, so you might do better on the ruler in a week.
Could you provide a pic in daylight or at least brighter light?
JC

Perhaps due to the light conditions, this kov looks a dark
purple on my monitor. This slight reflexing on the lower
rim of the petals seems to pass on to its hybrids. My first
bloom Fritz is doing the same thing.

Hi John. Thanks for your comments!. Yes you are very right, the form and size are strongly dependent on the temperatures in Phrags. Here we are having 25C max and 12C min and the kovachii plants are growing very fine and producing decent flowers. Will try to take a better picture tomorrow, today I arrived late from work and it was too dark.The flower in person is paler than in the picture.

Very nice I was hoping to pick up a kovachii last weekend but alas there's a no phrags at all for sale.

Best chance now is to wait til the malvern orchid, will just be my luck no one will have brought any lol,

Lovely plant and flower

Color still looks very nice albeit a little lighter.
I've found that small kovachii plants after flowering can crash, so I would cut the spike and grow it up. I would use the pollen as the quality is sufficient.
That anguloi looks really nice too.
JC

Latest posts

Back