Knob Mochizuki

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought this from Quintal Farm in 2016 as a mid to large sized seedling only at around 7inch wide.
I was hooked on the short round leaves that were light green and glossy at the time. They are much longer now but still quite nice chunky green leaves with high gloss!! Sorry the terrible picture does not show this at all.

This is its first time blooming but on its third growth.
The plant would grow and spike well, but the bud would blast while sitting low for many months. So, I'm super excited about this bloom. I've been dying to see the flower and finally!! :)
The cross is Mem Larry Heuer x emersonii.
Mem Larry Heuer is malipoense x emersonii. It is emersonii heavy hybrid, so the result is not that surprising but it could totally pass as the species itself!
I was hoping for some green blush or purple markings on the petals.
Fresh open bloom with no fragrance yet.

4e3E5foh.jpg

qtCZ8Nvl.jpg

yes the leaves are very nice; and so is the flower
Not bad, but I was hoping to see a bit larger flower. This one is barely over 10cm wide. The good news is that the fragrance has kicked in a little bit tonight. Can't quite describe it but it is mildly sweet and fresh plant smell. I know. terrible description. haha

Sorry, the name sounds horribly....but the flower is great, very close to malipoense but the colouration is deeper or more intense. 👍

It is a very nice one :) congrats..... Mochizuki is a Japanese word 望月 which means to look at the moon. The top yellow flower form C. goeringii (korean clone) has the same name. With round petals and yellow/white flower, I think the name is absolutely appropriate.

It is a very nice one :) congrats..... Mochizuki is a Japanese word 望月 which means to look at the moon. The top yellow flower form C. goeringii (korean clone) has the same name. With round petals and yellow/white flower, I think the name is absolutely appropriate.
Thank you.

Mochizuki is also a Japanese surname. It only takes one simple google search to learn what it means and that it is a last name in Japan. Given that orchid is often named after a person, it is quite disappointing and sad to see a couple of thoughtless comments here.

Very nice! Is it easier to grow than emersonii?
I have not tried emersonii so I can’t really compare, but it has been a good grower. The very first plant matured and spiked in early 2018. The second growth matured and spiked in late 2019. Both time, the bud would sit low for many months before eventually turning brown and dry up. Two new growths since started.
one stayed small and the larger one is in bloom now.
So, I would say this particular plant is fairly easy to grow.

......... it is quite disappointing and sad to see a couple of thoughtless comments here.

Think you mean me who made one of the thoughless comments. But I meant with.....'the name sounds horrible'.....it is in the sense of a tongue twister. I didn't intend to offend any person and at least you. Sorry.

Thank you for the clarification, David.
It would have been nicer had you made the distinction in the first place as the name contains two parts, one of which has cultural aspect and possibly someone’s actual name.
With that said, now I’m wondering if that Knob part of the name is knob as in the door handle or yet another Japanese word written in English.

Guru-
I’m not offended. I was rather hesitant to even respond but somehow felt it was necessary.
I don’t know the person related to this name if indeed it is named after someone, nor am I of Japanese descendant.
By the way, phonetics of the word Mochizuki can obviously be perceived very differently depending on one’s cultural (linguistic to be specific) background among other factors. I personally find the sound of it very entertaining and even cute.

Latest posts

Back