Kiwi bark or Orchiata Bark ??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kiwi bark is made from the New Zealand pinus radiata tree. Orchiata is made from the New Zealand pinus radiata tree. I've used both (only Kiwi now since I cannot get Orchiata anymore). Orchiata grades the bark more uniformly. I just sift my Kiwi to get the same result. A bag of #2 fine gives me 1/2 bag of precision and 1/2 bag of the next grade.

Maybe a few more wood chips in the Kiwi. I don't notice any other difference.

Kiwi bark is made from the New Zealand pinus radiata tree. Orchiata is made from the New Zealand pinus radiata tree. I've used both (only Kiwi now since I cannot get Orchiata anymore). Orchiata grades the bark more uniformly. I just sift my Kiwi to get the same result. A bag of #2 fine gives me 1/2 bag of precision and 1/2 bag of the next grade.

Maybe a few more wood chips in the Kiwi. I don't notice any other difference.
thank you - i heard it was "aged", so wondered if it behaved differently? or whether you limed it more often? or presoaked it .

Ive used both - kiwi is better IMHO. Use it out of the bag though it takes time to become absorbent.
Before using it, try pouring some very hot-, if not boiling, water over it. Wait 15 minutes or so and repeat. When it’s cool, it’ll be ready to use and the structure will have swelled enough to be far more absorbent.

I just water more often after re-potting. I usually pot with the mix dry. fills in the gaps better. I also keep newly potted plants in the same area so I don't miss a watering. It takes about a week and a half for the bark to keep holding water.

Back