Kelp / Seaweed Additives

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read from a few different sources (although maybe just repeating each other) that kelp extract is best applied via foliar spray as this is 10-20 times more efficient than delivery through root drench. Any one have further information on this?

I have read from a few different sources (although maybe just repeating each other) that kelp extract is best applied via foliar spray as this is 10-20 times more efficient than delivery through root drench. Any one have further information on this?

I think they say that about fertilisers in general don't they. The fertiliser I use (which includes a kelp extract) can be used as either foliar or a fertigate. The company told me it is 12 times more efficient to apply it as a foliar fertiliser. I can also apply it at much higher concentrations (5 times more) as a foliar fertiliser than though the potting mix. I assume at higher concentrations you can burn the roots. Every 4th watering I apply it to the roots at the recommended lower concentration.

Actually my references say roots are much more efficient in taking up nutrients and foliar sprays should be reserved for special circumstaces such damaged roots or for getting N or Mg. or whatever quickly into leaves. So I was wondering why/if seaweed was better sprayed?

Mike

Actually my references say roots are much more efficient in taking up nutrients and foliar sprays should be reserved for special circumstaces such damaged roots or for getting N or Mg. or whatever quickly into leaves. So I was wondering why/if seaweed was better sprayed?

Mike

If you do a google search you will find thousands of links telling you the advantages of foliar fertilising over fertigation. Interestingly they also generally say that foliar fertilising should be additional to fertigation rather than used solely. Hence I use both. But I foliar fertilise at very high concentrations. Since using this, my plants have never looked so good. They have certainly gone a darker green. You can see this from the leaves on my dianthum. It is as deep a green as you can imagine and it never used to be like that.

Mike

Foliar sprays are more for plants the grow fast like tomatoes.... In a soil environment it hard to get all the trace elements to the roots(why glacier dust is so important).. Foliar sprays allow the plant to take advantage of all the trace elements by absorbing them though there stomata. Also kelp has hormones that are used by the leaves. Orchids being slow grower don't benefit as much as long as you have a good root system.... you'll benefit more from a good media soak.

So when you fertilize by pouring with a watering can you're actualy doing both. The thing is, plants with waxy leaves (most orchids) should be foliar fed with a spreader (wetting agent) which I'm not too crazy about using too often.

Foliar sprays are only effective when the stomata are open... evening through early morning and the water solution needs to get on the bottom side of the leaves.

I noticed bigger improvement with a wetting agent added to foliar sprays.

The fertiliser I use has a sticking agent. You can see it sticking to the leaves. It washes off very easily though next watering.

So when you fertilize by pouring with a watering can you're actualy doing both. .

Yes, but then I would have to fertilise at 1/5 th of the recommended concentration.

Foliar sprays are only effective when the stomata are open... evening through early morning and the water solution needs to get on the bottom side of the leaves.

Yes, they say spray before 10.00 am. Also don't spray with temperatures above 25oC (22oC is ideal) which generally isn't a problem at that time of the morning. Yes, bottom of the leaves is better which is another reason why it is better to apply it with a mister rather than a watering can. A finer mist is also better.

They say using a foliar fertiliser also greatly improves the absorption of fertiliser through the roots as well as increase root growth.

Yes, but then I would have to fertilise at 1/5 th of the recommended concentration.

I'm fertilizing at 1/8 recommended :evil: ( so far so good )

Yes, bottom of the leaves is better which is another reason why it is better to apply it with a mister rather than a watering can. A finer mist is also better.

Is it known that bottom of leaves have a higher concentration of stomata than the top in paph leaves?

They say using a foliar fertiliser also greatly improves the absorption of fertiliser through the roots

How can that be?

I'm fertilizing at 1/8 recommended :evil: ( so far so good )

Is it known that bottom of leaves have a higher concentration of stomata than the top in paph leaves?

How can that be?

If you fertilise at 1/8 the recommended soil fertilisation rate, that would make it 1/40 the recommended foliar rate. :)

In relation to increased fertilisation through the roots, I have read it from several sources. It is explained here in point 9. Point 3 talks about the increased numbers of stomata on the bottom sides of the leaf.

http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2010/03/top-10-most-frequently-asked-foliar-fertilising-questions/

Some more useful information from these sites -

http://www.spraygro.com.au/foliar_feeding.asp

http://www.ecochem.com/t_foliar.html

Latest posts

Back