Just unflasked phrags - photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnndc

These are the Phrag Lynn-Evans Goldner "Full Circle" HCC/AOS x besseae flavum seedlings that Ki and I got at the NCOS show this weekend. She got 2 flasks, I got one. I decided to pot one in s/h with very small medium, and the other in the CHC/sphag/perlite mixture that that Repotting place - myrepot or whatever it is - was selling. Kind of a pulverized mixture, so much finer than it sounds. The top is the regular chc type mix, the bottom photo is the semi-hydro - I've got them covered for now, it's only the first 24 hours so far, have two small holes in each cover for a bit of air. I want to try to keep the humidity up without turning the thing into mold - gonna be a bit of a challenge I fear. For what it's worth, they had amazing roots.

Does this work?

deflask1-2.jpg

deflask2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm.... image problem?

Too busy to deflask mine, but I think they need to come out soon - it's ridiculously warm in my apartment. And like I think I mentioned in my potting medium thread, these are my first phrag flasks so I'm a bit nervous....

They are mini flasks and I got 2 different kinds. Here's a pic of one of mine.

263187775_a2442b120b.jpg

ditto.

and watch the temps in there when the lights are on. Because you have a very small enclosure, the temps will rise pretty quickly and quite high. I've steamed begonias and stuff under humidity domes on the shelves.

I would give them multiple quick ventings a day.

but then, I've never dealt with phrag flasklings so they may be a bit different....

and another thing I've had to do, given that I also had to deflask in suboptimal conditions.... spritz with hydrogen peroxide solution every now and then. I've heard people in greenhouses recommend once a week - I've done it more often. I don't know if they get set back by it but it sure beats losing a flask to damping off.

Okay, you sufficiently scared me - I poked a LOT more holes in the thing, like 14 or so.

I hope those holes are small ... rarely good to over-adjust.
So do you have a lot on condensation? that would be an indication of significant temp fluctuation.

Woodstream was the vendor. And, well, the holes are there now, and decent size. From what some others have suggested, I think I did the right thing - they had a day in their almost totallyh covered environment, then a day with lots of holes, but still covered, and now I'm going to slowly get them more and more accustomed to the good ole air.

Wouldn't it be better in a ziploc bag partially open for fresh air and keeping the humidity high.

Paphman910

How do you suggest I keep the humidity high? I live in a studio, and at this time of year the windows need to be open somewhat or the temps soar inside (southern exposure). That's the only way I can figure to help keep the humidity up - and actually, I worry that plastic bags have even more stagnant air - no? Again, I have like 14 holes in each container now, so there's some pretty good air circulation.

hey John,

Just thought I'd mention that with my first couple of flasks, I lost more during days 7-14 than I did in the first week ;)

but then I'm probably killing them now, as I left them on the floor because the apartment was so d@mn hot this morning.... I left the balc door wide open and now I realize I'm not going to get home until around midnight - the floor will be pretty chilly by then. :mad:

Ki, any idea what went wrong in that second week? I know when I've tried plants in plastic bags, a la sphag and bag, it's been a disaster. So am a bit afraid of that one. That's why I'm hoping semi-hydro may help keep some of the humidity up, be less of a shock to the roots, and as for the other one the medium is decently moist (it's ground pretty fine). Not really sure what else I can do - and in any case, am leaving town on saturday for 5 days so the little pups are on their own in any case.

damping off and humidity fluctuation.

I've had the best results with s/h, and I attribute that to: (1) with minimal air circulation, regular potting medium gets too stagnant and (2) it helps keep the humidity stable. But I'm guessing, of course....

yeah, I realized earlier today that you were about to go out of town - I shall not repeat here what I said to someone about your decision to deflask now :p

(but as I said, I may get home to dead flasklings so...)

Your vote of confidence is always appreciated :) The things needed to be deflasked, several of the leaf tips were starting to change colors and they scared me. If they die, I get more - the flask is dead, long live the flask. :)

Latest posts

Back