just add ice!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the other day I saw a bunch of phals with a much better gimmick that may work. Instead of just ad ice, they had a small maybe 2 1/2 to 3 ounce little plastic cup attached to each plant saying water using this quantity of water. Might just work for a novice. To be truthful I didn't even read how it said to water the plants but it sounds much better than ice.

I think these people who come up with these gimmicks plan on having people keep their orchids alive while they are in bloom, then they'll throw them away and purchase a new one.

The reality is that putting a few ice cubes on a Phal will probably not hurt the plan at all. The ice is not really that cold and it would have very little contact with plant tissue if put on the media surface. By the time it melts and the water moves into the roots it's probably almost room temperature.

"Just add Ice" is a sales gimmick but it may actually have merit.
Imagine a Phal in bloom on a table and the owner has an ice drink when they get home from work, put the small amount of used ice on the plant and it probably will continue to live and finis blooming. If that same owner has to pick the plant up and carry it to the kitchen to water it... most people won't do it. But the "gimmick" of "buying your orchid a drink" is a bonding thing.

So maybe we should not be so quick to condemn the idea until we know it actually is a bad idea? :)

I'd try it but we don't have ice here.

It is a gimmick, and it's designed to keep the existing flowers alive for as long as possible. This method prevents people from overwatering their plants, and the chilly temperature slows growth. After the blooms wilt, the plant declines rapidly, so you have to buy another. It's perfect!

I have bought Just Add Ice brand phals (I found a fragrant one in a grocery store - likely a schilleriana hybrid!), and they last a very long time. Obviously I didn't use ice - I drilled holes in the pot and watered normally - but other than the instructions, I can't find anything negative about the plants. They're good quality for what they are - no-name cloned phals, to be a table ornament and then discarded.

The fragrant one's a keeper, though!

Yes, the just add ice part is a gimmick. I rescued 3 phal keikis because a friend of mine did the ice orchids and it was over a long enough period it shocked the orchid and it produced a terminal spike and 3 keikis, the mother plant had no good roots. My aunt watered her orchid with ice cold water from outside melted snow that hadn't warmed up and it had the same effect. So no cold water or ice!!!

Latest posts

Back