jungle in the bronx

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well, it's not quite the bronx but manhattan, but with the wild cats and long green leaves everywhere, you could be easily fooled. I visited with nyeric at his apartment, and took some pictures of plants with cool foliage and flowers. It was interesting seeing all the different orchids, though most are phrags and paphs

nyeric413a.JPG

cool leaves of paph hainanense

nyeric413b.JPG

cool leaves of paph superbiens var. curtisii

nyeric413c.JPG

flowering paphs bellatulum and niveum

nyeric413d.JPG

flowering paphs esquirolei and paph (eric will have to remind me)

ericqats413a.JPG

eric will have to fill in the name of the cats

nyeric413e.JPG

trigonidium major

nyeric413e2.JPG

phrag Inca Rose 3N (besseae 'rob's choice' am/aos x pink panther 'pink eye')
eric thought that this was one of the best hybrids of this type; most every flower
has been very nice

ericqats413b.JPG

nyeric413f.JPG

side view

ericqats413c.JPG

more pics in reply posts

part two

more pics

nyeric413g.JPG

phrag pearcei flower

nyeric413h.JPG

eric's tub of mexipedium

nyeric413i.JPG

pleuro. quadrifida

nyeric413j.JPG

oncidium or tolumnia (?), didn't see tag

ericroof413a.JPG

view out south window (south end manhattan), check out the roof gardens

nyeric413k.JPG

baskets of tolumnias

ericroof413b.JPG

more south window view; courthouse and civic center + to
the left side

ericroof413c.JPG

also south view; new trade center tower under construction

part three

even more pics

nyeric413l.JPG

tolumnia 1 from basket

nyeric413m.JPG

tolumnia 2 from basket

nyeric413n.JPG

cleisocentrum gokusingi flowers (they are tinted blue)

nyeric413o.JPG

paph magic lantern leaves

nyeric413p.JPG

paphs (in bud), second yellow paph in flower and flowering
paph esquirolei

nyeric413q.JPG

tub of slipper seedlings (mostly)

nyeric413r.JPG

flowering malaxis latifolia

nyeric413s.JPG

closeup

the one couch pictured was full of plants, but the other one was completely open :)
I was actually surprised that during my first five steps into the apartment, I didn't see a single plant! :)

Eric's always complained about never getting a bloom out of hirsutissimum/esquirolei. Is that the division I traded with him a year ago?

I was told by eric's friend that there was a third younger cat that did knock things around, so had to find a new home. The two adults love to roam through them, but don't really do anything to the plants

there were lots of rooftop gardens down below, but too spread out to get them all in one picture. the most interesting spot I saw was where there were two lawns, plus a row of magnolia trees in bloom

Thanks. I was surprised that Charles didn't post fotos of the terrestrials, habenarias, etc coming up. i think some of the Aussies are coming back even.:)
We call the 2 cats Fatty and Baddy! :D
Sorry Rick, I killed off that full pot of hirsuit you sent me, I should have separated them out and crown rot got them. This one is from Springwater and the leaves are much bigger.

Thanks. I was surprised that Charles didn't post fotos of the terrestrials, habenarias, etc coming up. i think some of the Aussies are coming back even.:)

oh; I didn't even see them, sorry (or else I forgot that you pointed them out)

nice pics thanks for sharing,
this could not be all plants.........

:D definitely not! large numbers were unphotographed; my camera memory card is far too small to get them all!

The Magic Lanterns are ridiculous runners! :mad: they even have roots growing between the leaves, very beastly, so I added media onto the growths.

That must be one large apartment for Manhattan! Love the pussycats and
the hell you much go through to keep all those watered. I don't think I'll
complain about watering the gh this summer.

We spray all the plants with aerial roots twice a day and water every other day. most of the Phrags are growing in trays of circulating water. The apartment is typical dry.

Back