Judging my new bessae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

H

heliomum

I finally got a Phrag. bessae!:clap::drool::rollhappy: It is just a species orchid with no cultivar and I don't know the parentage. Can I submit it for AOS judging once it flowers and name the cultivar after myself?

PaphMadMan

phytomanic
Reaction score
Yes, you can give it any cultivar name at any time, within the rules for cultivar names. And yes, you can submit it for AOS judging when it is in flower.

PaphMadMan (Kirk)

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Be forewarned though, besseaes have a lot of AOS awards. It may be a while before it is deemed worthy of an AOS award. No offense, but it takes a pretty special Phrag. to get an AOS award...it isn't necessarily plausible to just bloom a Phrag, bring it to a judging center, and have it awarded on a first bloom seedling.

rdlsreno

Reaction score
Be forewarned though, besseaes have a lot of AOS awards. It may be a while before it is deemed worthy of an AOS award. No offense, but it takes a pretty special Phrag. to get an AOS award...it isn't necessarily plausible to just bloom a Phrag, bring it to a judging center, and have it awarded on a first bloom seedling.
I do agree, but there is no harm in trying! Good luck!

Ramon:)

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I finally got a Phrag. bessae!:clap::drool::rollhappy: It is just a species orchid with no cultivar and I don't know the parentage. Can I submit it for AOS judging once it flowers and name the cultivar after myself?
Most orchid growers are humble people and don't name plants after themselves. Maybe a loved one, a business, a street etc:D

smartie2000

Reaction score
It can be done, even though there are many past awards. Last month we had an besseae AM/AOS at my society. The diplay was quite nice