Joyce Hasegawa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gego

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given to me to revive about six years ago. This is an old cross from Hanes Orchids of Distinction. It flowered once on me but the stem broke so I did not get to see how it looks until now. It's trying to have three but I dont think the third will make it. It has a small deformation on the left of dorsal but it looks really nice with that creamy white, red staminode contrast.
20230411_164805.jpg20230411_164852.jpg

How's the fragrance?

I have one of these, it's a super slow grower like most of my emersonii hybrids. I'm not even a fan of pinks and whites in paphs (delenatii aside) but this is truly an exceptional hybrid in my opinion and one you don't see (in bloom) often. Mine seems to bloom about every 2 - 3 years, so definitely on the slow side. It literally takes that long for growths to mature, but who knows if it's the plant or if it's just my growing conditions.

How's the fragrance?

I have one of these, it's a super slow grower like most of my emersonii hybrids. I'm not even a fan of pinks and whites in paphs (delenatii aside) but this is truly an exceptional hybrid in my opinion and one you don't see (in bloom) often. Mine seems to bloom about every 2 - 3 years, so definitely on the slow side. It literally takes that long for growths to mature, but who knows if it's the plant or if it's just my growing conditions.
I find emersonii primary hybrids very slow in general. The only exception for me has been Franz Glanz ( emersonii x armeniacum). I had a few and all of them grew into clump quite quickly.
For some reason, a few delenatii x hangianum I've tried have been crazy slow as well.
This is strange because delenatii and its primary hybrids typically are good grower/bloomer.
Oh, one other emersonii hybrid that grew very fast for me was Cam's Cloud ( e x bellatulum).
Hangianum x emersonii was about the slowest I've ever had. I got rid of them all while back. Not missing them. lol

I find emersonii primary hybrids very slow in general. The only exception for me has been Franz Glanz ( emersonii x armeniacum). I had a few and all of them grew into clump quite quickly.
For some reason, a few delenatii x hangianum I've tried have been crazy slow as well.
This is strange because delenatii and its primary hybrids typically are good grower/bloomer.
Oh, one other emersonii hybrid that grew very fast for me was Cam's Cloud ( e x bellatulum).
Hangianum x emersonii was about the slowest I've ever had. I got rid of them all while back. Not missing them. lol
I literally just posted about my Paph. Wössner Wolke experience with Norman's orchids in another thread. Ugh.

I did end up getting a real Paph. Wössner Wolke and I will agree, it's a slow grower. My Paph. emersonii is so much slower growing, though. I go back and forth as to whether these plants are actually worth the time and effort, but so far, I'm mostly of the opinion that they're worth it. At least things like the Joyce Hasegawa have gorgeous foliage, so there's something to appreciate even when they aren't in bloom.

I literally just posted about my Paph. Wössner Wolke experience with Norman's orchids in another thread. Ugh.

I did end up getting a real Paph. Wössner Wolke and I will agree, it's a slow grower. My Paph. emersonii is so much slower growing, though. I go back and forth as to whether these plants are actually worth the time and effort, but so far, I'm mostly of the opinion that they're worth it. At least things like the Joyce Hasegawa have gorgeous foliage, so there's something to appreciate even when they aren't in bloom.
Yeah, I saw that. The foliage from that cross will always be glossy plain green with nothing on the underside.
If anything, they might pass as either parent species until they bloom but not as anything else.

How's the fragrance?

There is a whiff of mint like smell, very subtle. I caught it just before I took the picture. I grow this on the delanatii side, lower pH. It responded positively.

keeper for sure...

i suppose TTNB becomes a metric for these kinds of things... (Time To Next Bloom) :)

You never know, but usually, even the slowest things start growing and blooming on a regular basis.
This one was a stressed out plant that is blooming for the second time under your care. There's already a thrid (?) growth well on its way. I wouldn't be surprised to see it bloom every year to every other year. Then, it could suddenly add two three or more new growths at once and start going nuts!! You just never know what each plant will do down the road and that's the exciting part! ;)

Regarding the scent, my JH and emersonii had the same sharp irritating very hard to describe sort of scent. The chemical from ER room? or the smell in the cadaver room in my anatomy class is close. 🤣 Ok, with a touch of sweet.

Latest posts

Back