Journalist looking for orchid trader or owner who has evaded CITES rules

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiffany, I think you are asking to play with fire.

First, no one will admit to breaking a serious rule for the 'fun' of your project. Fines are hundreds of thousands plus up to 10 years in prison. Plus seizure of their entire collection and their name dragged through the mud. Some never recover. Ask Mr. Kovach about his illegal importation of Phragmipedium kovachii and Selby Garden's drama for describing this illegal species to the ire of the Peruvian government. Read 'The Scent of Scandal' and the book Abax recommends to you.

Second, the protection of the anonymity of the source can easily be weaned from the public posts here. And if the law really bears down on you or this forum, something will fold. It might even point a negative light on this forum and destroy it.

I think what you should focus on is the effectiveness of CITES to protect the very orchids that are in danger. What H_Mossy pointed out is very true. CITES has failed in protecting wild orchids and thousands are seen (and perished) at the open air market in Asia, esp the border towns of Vietnam and Burma with Thailand, even today. You should interview CITES personnel and corner them on how this wasn't stopped. And how they plan to rewrite CITES to reflect the nature of things as it stands. As an example, ask them how the rare newly discovered Paphiopedilum species rungsuriyanum was almost wiped out in a matter of years from the wild due to their failed 'protection' services. And that a single seed pod could have save the species from imminent extinction in their habitat.

If you want to make an impact, help CITES change to be more effective rather than restrictive.

Good luck.
Go Leslie!!!

1. Please don't single out Brazilian or any other countries.
2. If you don't know the rules you really can't speak about them.
3. Mr. Kovach is long dead, R.I.P..
4. It is very easy to avoid CITES restrictions, especially if you have contacts with certain people and money. Just the same as with illegal/illicit drugs. That should be enough for your article/podcast.

Hello, I seldom comment on forums any more but I wish to commend Dr. Leslie Ee for his excellent and wise comments above. It is very rare to read reasoned and informed arguments of that calibre. Thank you very much. F.W.
Thank you Frederick for your kind words. I wrote it based on my feelings and experiences with my adventures of orchids over the last 30 years.

OK, I've read the rules now. It appears that some rules also apply to hybrid orchids, too. It is very difficult for me to believe there are CITES rules for hybrid orchids. Even Harold Koopowitz commented on that. How is restricting trafficking in hybrid orchids supposed to protect species orchids??? Boggles the mind...
(it is possible that I may have misunderstood something, but I don't think so)

OK, I've read the rules now. It appears that some rules also apply to hybrid orchids, too. It is very difficult for me to believe there are CITES rules for hybrid orchids. Even Harold Koopowitz commented on that. How is restricting trafficking in hybrid orchids supposed to protect species orchids??? Boggles the mind...
(it is possible that I may have misunderstood something, but I don't think so)

I think the CITES rule are better at protecting bureaucrats' jobs.

I've been collecting rungsiryanums and mynamaricums for a decade or so.... I got em in my greenhouse..... in my backyard

1. Please don't single out Brazilian or any other countries.
2. If you don't know the rules you really can't speak about them.
3. Mr. Kovach is long dead, R.I.P..
4. It is very easy to avoid CITES restrictions, especially if you have contacts with certain people and money. Just the same as with illegal/illicit drugs. That should be enough for your article/podcast.
Eric, Michael Kovach is dead? Or George Norris? [edited: I can believe George Norris has passed. He was elderly at the time. But I thought Kovach was our age.]

Latest posts

Back