Johanna Burkhardt/Wössner Black Wings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickp

Reaction score
This is rothschildianum 'Leo' SM/JOGA x anitum 'Ace' AM/AOS from Orchid Inn. First bloom. I like the dark petals on this clone.

Pick your favorite name, depending on whether or not you think P. anitum is a separate species or variety of adductum. I'm going along with WCSP and RHS for now.

Attachments

• Paph_Johanna-Burkhardt.jpg
    Paph_Johanna-Burkhardt.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 104
That is wonderful. The petals are so dark. Great clone. I have a plant of this cross that should flower later this year. I will be happy if it looks anywhere near as nice as this one.

Personally, anitum an adductum are the same species to me. If you took away the colour, I am not sure you could tell them apart, and colour shouldn't be used to separate species. Having said that, colour is important for us growers, so I would still use Wossner Black Wings for the hybrid involving anitum to distinguish it from Johanna Burkhardt. I don't think hybrid names need to be so linked to the taxonomy.

Last edited:
After growing both anitum and adductum, there are enough morphological differences for me to think they are separate species or subspecies.

The most differentiating trait besides the flower color (black dorsal sepals on anitum) is the leaf patterns. Anitum has light black netting on the leaf surface, particularly when young. Adductum has solid green leaves.

Besides that point, it is good to separate the breeding lines because anitum hybrids will always outshine the adductum lines for darkness of flowers. This confers an unfair advantage over adductum hybrids.

Just my thoughts 🙃.

Last edited:
I think it may be HCC awardable at the minimum.

I like that the pouch has some red in it. Most are more brown, which is the only downside of this hybrid in my eyes.

Forgot to mention I have a few of this cross. I bought a flask, but for some reason I only have maybe six or seven left.The biggest is NBS though.

I think it may be HCC awardable at the minimum.

I like that the pouch has some red in it. Most are more brown, which is the only downside of this hybrid in my eyes.

I agree. Award quality for sure. Sam said these would be some of the darkest WBW ever seen. He wasn't wrong.

Latest posts

Back