Jennifer Kalina

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
chamberlainianum x malipoense

I bought the plant as a medium sized seedling a few years ago. It got larger and larger, and finally bloomed in January of 2017. It took nearly three years to bloom again. About the slowest thing I've grown. Still no signs of a new growth, so it looks like I'm in for a long slow ride with this one. The older growth is slowly withering away now.

The spike stands about 17inch tall. No fragrance. The dark staminode is so glossy that it almost looks wet. I tried to capture it in the last photo. not easy with my phone camera, but I tried. :)

There are a couple more buds to come. They opened one at a time and each flower lasted about one month, so at least I get to enjoy the show for a while.

I made a cross with this and roth, and I have a flask. Yay!! Hopefully I will end up with some robust plant with good flowers down the road so I can ditch this painfully slow plant. :)

u4a8FLKl.jpg

211S5Nrl.jpg

jWjaY8ml.jpg

Last edited:
It's a gorgeous flower, too bad it's such a slow grower. If you crossed it with roth are you concerned you may end up with a bunch of slow growing AND hard to bloom plants?

It's a gorgeous flower, too bad it's such a slow grower. If you crossed it with roth are you concerned you may end up with a bunch of slow growing AND hard to bloom plants?
Yes, that will mostly likely be the case for majority of them. I did it anyway. haha
Even in the flask, the seedlings while looking healthy and great, are smaller than other things within the same time frame. So, there.

Yes, that will mostly likely be the case for majority of them. I did it anyway. haha
Even in the flask, the seedlings while looking healthy and great, are smaller than other things within the same time frame. So, there.

There's no harm in trying. Never know what you might end up with, even if it's mostly only a slow-growing, unbloomable Paph hybrid. LOL

Beautiful!!! A good result of that breeding.
The chamber gene may help in the flowering,,, worth a try. But plants will be bigger.

Latest posts

Back