Japonicium or formosanium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nic

I live in Virginia, and we are USDA 6-7. I do pretty well with Japanese plants in general, and wonder which of these admittedly similar Cyps I should add to my collection this fall? Or both?

Add formosanum, if you can find it. Its an easy grower and an easy bloomer. As similar as japonicum is, it has the reputation of being difficult...can't say from experience, as I haven't grown it...but I can say from experience that formosanum is easy. The usual advice is to plant it in a colder part of your yard, to avoid early growth during winter warm spells....Take care, Eric

I would echo Eric's suggestions. Be really careful about spring frosts with C. formosanum however. Once they begin growing they can not endure any frost and so must be fully protected. Another option is to grow it in a oversized pot - the bigger, the better.

C. japonicum is similar, but the flower is strikingly different. It is much harder to establish, but once it gets going it seems to do well. However, growers report difficultly in flowering even if it grows well. I've had plants in the ground for a couple seasons now and they seem to be fine...next year will tell the tale. Not an easy species, but well suited to your climate.

Tom

I would go for both because sooner or later you will want them to your collection... Just bear in mind the info you were given so as to keep them happy...:D:D:D

Latest posts

Back