Japanese orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I didn't know about this vendor, but I saw a post in another forum. Here is a link to Kusamono Gardens ("Kusamono" is the herbaceous side-kicks of Bonsai).

They have quite a few Japanese orchids:
Pecteilis radiata (2 varieties + wild type)
Spiranthes sinensis
Ponerorchis graminifolia
Bletilla striata
Amitostigma kinoshitae
A. keiskei
One Amitostigma hybrid.
Pogonia japonica

They are around $10-15. Just in case some of you are looking for those species.

Last edited:
, so if you have any specific questions, ask away:rollhappy:

Alternative media than Kanuma (and spaghnum and pumice)? What about Akadama (I have a free bag) and pumice? Or turface?

Can I grow Spiranthes sinensis like S. odorata?

What about overwintering Ponerorchis? In zone 7, can I keep in pot in unheated garage, or do I need to remove and store in container/freezer bag in garage?

Tom, is this the place?
http://www.e878.net/shopbrand/002/075/X/page2/order/
I wonder if I can import them, the price is too good! At least, I should visit there when I go to Japan since it is close to my parent's house (Kagawa).

The website doesn't mention the physical location, but it is from Seattle, WA according to my order confirmation.

Yup, that's the place! You certainly can import from him, but you'll have to use his export list only at: http://www.shikoku-garden.com/English/indexenglish.htm Unfortunately, the list is more abbreviated, but there still is a good selection. Mind you he only sells wholesale internationally, so you'll have to put together a pretty large order, say in excess of $1000. The owner, Takuya Izumi, speaks and writes very good English and will negotiate if he can make a good profit. His nursery accounts for most of the world's trade in Japanese herbaceous plants, including virtually all of the orchids. Naturally he only does things by the book, so his plants are 100% legal.

I was lucky enough to visit his nursery in 2007 with Dutch plantsman Rogier van Vugt, who I had staying at my place at the time. His nursery is an endless delight to walk through. Being a truly good Japanese host, Takuya not only showed us his main nursery in Mastuyama city, but also drove us up to a mountain location where he grows many woodland perennials, including large beds of Cypripedium japonicum.

Alternative media than Kanuma (and spaghnum and pumice)? What about Akadama (I have a free bag) and pumice? Or turface?

Can I grow Spiranthes sinensis like S. odorata?

What about overwintering Ponerorchis? In zone 7, can I keep in pot in unheated garage, or do I need to remove and store in container/freezer bag in garage?

Anything that is resistant to breaking down quickly should work fine. Turface, perlite, pumice, Sermis, etc should all be good. Avoid Akadama unless it has been fired since it literally turns into mud within a season or two.

S. sinensis is a roadside weed, growing in rich volcanic loam here, but is found throughout China and even Australia, so I'm sure it will grow in just about anything. It cannot take too much cold in winter (Japanese plants), but it does want some light since it is green throughout. In zone 7 you probably have a chance with it. It likes to remain moist, but not wet.

Ponerorchis can be overwintered in the pot or in a freezer bag. The latter is a bit tricky since the tubers can rot if not stored properly. So, I'd put them in the garage as is, back off on the water such that they are very nearly truly dry and maintain that moisture level until spring. These do much better if you repot yearly. I lost all of mine in 2011-12 when I didn't repot...just a warning.

Yup, that's the place! You certainly can import from him, but you'll have to use his export list only at: http://www.shikoku-garden.com/English/indexenglish.htm
Anything that is resistant to breaking down quickly should work fine. Turface, perlite, pumice, Sermis, etc should all be good. Avoid Akadama unless it has been fired since it literally turns into mud within a season or two.

S. sinensis is a roadside weed, growing in rich volcanic loam here, but is found throughout China and even Australia, so I'm sure it will grow in just about anything. It cannot take too much cold in winter (Japanese plants), but it does want some light since it is green throughout. In zone 7 you probably have a chance with it. It likes to remain moist, but not wet.

Ponerorchis can be overwintered in the pot or in a freezer bag. The latter is a bit tricky since the tubers can rot if not stored properly. So, I'd put them in the garage as is, back off on the water such that they are very nearly truly dry and maintain that moisture level until spring. These do much better if you repot yearly. I lost all of mine in 2011-12 when I didn't repot...just a warning.

Thanks! So I presume Calanthe (sieboldi, etc) in Akadama are repotted annually?

I've gotten the plants from Kusamono Gardens about 10 days ago, and they are all in good condition! Since they are relatively new vendor, I thought that some of you may be interested in how the condition of the plants are. I communicate with the owner, and he is hoping that he can get more species next year. I'm very satisfied.

The top photo of each species is from the time I received (April 7), the bottom photo shows that they all started to grow (April 16). I was a little worried about the black shoots of Amitostigma, but they were all ok.

Pogonia japonica
p4070002-jpg.34759

p4160007-jpg.34765

Spiranthes sinensis
p4070003-jpg.34760

p4160011-jpg.34768

Ponerorchis graminifolia
p4080004-jpg.34761

p4160008-jpg.34766

Amitostigma keiskei
p4080005-jpg.34762

p4160010-jpg.34767

Amitostigma kinoshitae
p4080006-jpg.34763

p4160001-jpg.34764

Which one did you get Linus? I communicated with the owner, and he said that he is considering getting more Calanthe species next year. If you are interested, maybe you can encourage him to get these!

Which one did you get Linus? I communicated with the owner, and he said that he is considering getting more Calanthe species next year. If you are interested, maybe you can encourage him to get these!

I got the Habenaria radiata 'Ginga', Spiranthes sinesis (to go with the odorata I already have), Ponerorchis graminifolia, Bletilla 'Tri-Lips' (to go with the other Bletillas I already have), Amitostigma enomotoe, Amitostigma keiskei, and Pogonia japonica (I don't think the Pogonia ophioglossoides I bought last year survived; maybe I should have repotted it in Kanuma).

I'd be interested more Calanthe. I already have discolor, sieboldii, Kojima White, Takane. I've killed reflexa and aristulifera.

And yup, they are all sprouting, except for the Habenaria (which will probably sprout later).

I lost Pogonia japonica quickly, but all others flowered a couple weeks ago. Well, it is easy to flower the first year because the flowers are due to good culture by the vendor. Hopefully, I can keep them for next year.

Amitostigma keiskei

Amitostigma keiskei on Flickr

Amitostigma kinoshitae

Amitostigma kinoshitae on Flickr

I put Ponerorchis graminifolia photos on a separate thread, but here is one photo:

Ponerorchis graminifolia on Flickr

Spirants sinensis is the last one to flower, but I haven't taken photos yet.

I really like that Amitostigma keiskei and the Ponerorchis are nice as well.

And here is the last one to flower from this purchase: Spiranthes sinensis.

A link to a great article about this species by Tom (botany boy): A Beautiful Orchid Weed: Spiranthes sinensis

Indeed, it is a beautiful "weed"!

Spiranthes sinensis on Flickr

I've been trying my new, cheap macro lens (M.Zuiko 30mm/f3.5 Macro) for the 1st and 3rd photos above. 60mm is easier to work, but 30mm is an amazing bargain.

I'm also surprised how quickly these grow. Since my place isn't hot, they are located next to S. facing window, and get fair amount of sun. I was keeping S. sinensis in a darker place at first (and the leaves appear to be a little etiolated).

The other interesting thing is that A. kinoshitae might be developing the keiki (from the flower shoot which was done flowering). This species is supposed to do this asexual propagation frequently. I pollinated A. keiskei, but I think that I didn't do good. I'll pollinate P. gramminifolia, too. It is supposed to be super easy to propagate with card-board germination.

Latest posts

Back