I've done a very bad thing....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sanderianum? Go sit in the corner.

duncezz5.gif

You killed a sanderianum? ONE? You've got a LOT of catching up to do if you're going to get serious about this whole orchid thing!

"Experience is directly proportionate to the number of plants killed."
—me​

a photo of the poor limp thing...

I took a photo just now. It's not in the garbage yet, but it needs to grow some new roots PDQ if it is going to make it. I think having no roots, and drying out to much just prevented any water from getting into the leafs and it is now this floppy limp little chick.

Wah.

wwjm5hh0.jpg

Hey Heather... that doesnt look so bad, I've recovered plants that look worse than that. You can revive it with foliar watering while it recovers, perhaps a bit of rooting hormone or Superthrive to get some roots growing... its not a lost cause.

I killed 20 sanderianums just a year ago :) They weren't that big, though...

- Matthew

oh Heather... that's not dead.... it just needs a bit of extra effort... like men... ;)

and for what it's worth, I killed a flask of rothschildianum in about three weeks! Is that a world record???

Hi Heather:
I've had some success with plants in this condition using sphagnum moss. I clean any obviously rotted part and pot up in pure sphag. Move it to lower ligh; keep it damp but not wet and don't let it dry out. I've had better luck with this than with sphag and bag.

best of luck,
gary

I don't think it looks that bad either, but the present stress could come back with problems in a couple of weeks.

Lots of good suggestions. I'd probably repot in sphagnum for the interem too. Breezy and humid.

Heather,

I would suggest misting the leaves a couple of times a day, taking extra care to mist the under-sides of the leaves (and obviously, not in the evenings). Repotting into sphagnum (and bagging) are always options, but depend on the condition of the roots. If you still have one or two good healthy roots, it may do more harm to repot it while it's already stressed. Anyway, I'd also agree with gary that it will help to move it into the shade for a while. Personally, I think that a sanderianum is worth just about any amount of extra trouble, even if you have others :)

- Matthew

Latest posts

Back