• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

It’s been a while…selling my collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This will be a number of posts to list everything. I'm sure I missed some plants that I'll add later.

I took a new job in February and have been considering significantly downsizing my collection ever since then as the new job has me much busier and has made my collection more of a chore than a pleasure. Last week, my mom fell out of her attic and broke some bones. She was super lucky and doesn't even need surgery to correct anything but since she is in her upper 60s it'll take her a while to heal and she is fairly incapacitated as she can't put any weight on one foot and also broke a bone in her shoulder. She is the main caregiver for my dad who has severe rheumatoid arthritis. So I will be moving in to assist them over the next few months--luckily I live close enough to them and them to my job that this is possible, but I do not think it is going to work to move my collection.

The silver lining in all of this is that my girlfriend and I have been wanting to change jobs and have a couple of months to travel as she has not seen much of the world and moving in with my parents for a few months will give us the means to do so. But that further cements my need to get rid of pretty much the entire collection.

If anyone is local and could pick them up or meet me halfway (I live in Dallas), I would gladly part with the whole collection for $1000 just to not have to deal with packaging so many plants for shipping. I’m putting them for sale on here first as I have loved this forum and would prefer the plants to go to people who will fully appreciate them. Depending on what the demand is here, I will probably end up just contacting my local orchid society and may end up just donating to them the majority of the plants.

I’m going to give it a couple of days to see if someone wants to meet up to take the whole collection as right now it is really more about the time than the money. If no one wants the whole collection, it’ll be first come first served. I will consider discounts for large quantities as I am mostly just trying to get rid of them before they become too neglected while I stay with my parents—and I have to be out of my current place by the end of August. I’m hoping to do minimum orders of $100 as between my job and helping my parents it is going to be a struggle to get them shipped out so I want to make sure it is worth my time—depending on demand, I may not hold firm to this idea. Prices do not include shipping, shipping to be charged at cost. All pictures in this thread of the current state of the plants; all links are links to previous bloomings.

Starting off with some of my favorites:

1. Paph delenatii Dunkle –Taking offers as it is a fantastic plant; Last blooming was tri-floral; here’s the thread of that blooming and a picture of it currently, one big new growth that should bloom this winter and two smaller growths coming out of the base instead of the previously bloomed growth:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43115
one month old picture:
5cwkvhKl.jpg

Today:
XxTN96Ol.jpg

2. Paph Toni Semple—Taking offers; In BLOOM! Probably awardable; looks like it’ll finally be 6 flowers this year; This is probably only for local delivery if you want it in bloom as I let the spike go mostly natural and it is HUGE—otherwise, I can try to ship it but I anticipate $50 or more to ship and there would be no guarantees on the flowers surviving. It is a massive plant with an even larger spike; 2 PB, 1 in bloom, One huge NBS, one new growth; links to the last two bloomings:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42187
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39090
current pictures:
gHj1Ba1l.jpg

7eDvLEXl.jpg

as4IYNYl.jpg

3. Phrag Frank Smith--$200 this spring’s blooming had 3 huge flowers, this plant is huge and will cost a lot to ship; has two new growths that I am confidant would bloom next spring if it continued to grow in its current conditions; here’s its first blooming in spring of 2016 which only had 2 flowers and only resulted in 1 new growth—so the plant is improving with age:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40758
plant today: picture is deceiving as it is a really large plant
ubDmny6l.jpg

4. Paph Lady Isabel ‘Crystelle’ x Booth’s Stone Lady ‘Crystelle’--$150; it just finished blooming with the spike in these pictures which results in it having 2 pb and one good sized new growth; flower measurments: 4.5DS, 1.1PW, 15.5NS horizontal, 18NS vertical; the pictures really don’t do the flowers justice
cJ5U1iHl.jpg

qnvc8TQl.jpg

jSrmRw7l.jpg

vIW8IOdl.jpg

5. Paph philippenense--$100; big clump of a good philippenense; honestly, its hard to count how many new growths there are but there are a lot; here’s the last blooming I have good pictures of:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40047
Fh0zBcyl.jpg

6. Paph Stone Addict “Yellow Hawk”--$100; 1PB, 1BS old growth that looks like it will never do anything, 2 BS growths; here is it’s last blooming, it sulked for a long time after that but the 2 BS growths are doing quite well now and should bloom anytime:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34521
3298kPFl.jpg

7. OZ Roth Dazzler x Buff--$75; In Bloom and spike!
1st bloom is found below, was 5.4/1.9/27.5 has the PB from this link/the in spike growth/and a good sized new growth
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36834
and here it is today with dimensions on 1st flower of 5.8DS/1.8PW/27.7NS:
4YA6iJIl.jpg

AImbCwtl.jpg

8. OZ Roth Red Baron x Wide Horizon--$75; 1st bloom at Orchid Zone was 6.8DS 2.0PW 27NS, its new growth is a little weak as it has been a little neglected hence the low price for a plant with a fantastic original blooming
kDC4YuPl.jpg

9. Paph Shun Fa Golden--$60; 1 PB, 2 NBS with a small chance of blooming this fall/winter; here is the thread of its first bloom followed by it today:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42186
r2gsi66l.jpg

Last edited:
10. OZ Roth Red Baron x Wide Horizon--$50; 1st bloom was 5.9/1.7/28; 1PB/1 good sized NBS or possibly small BS—should bloom next year
Ww0sK6Fl.jpg

11. Paph roth ‘Knight Sunshine’ x ‘Tarantula’ from Tokyo Orchid Nursery via Paphioland--$50 40cm LS
dq9It5rl.jpg

12. Phrag (kovachii x (kovachii x schlimii ‘Hercules’))--$50; neglected compot from Peruflora; 3 strong plants, 2 of which have new growths and 3 decent seedlings in 6” pot; 40cm+ leafspan on the bigger plants
Done very well considering I grow fairly warm and these are 75% kovachii; whoever takes these will have to email me pictures when they bloom!
DxsBx2Fl.jpg

vIrM7LJl.jpg

7TpBbDkl.jpg

13. Phrag Fritz Schomburg--$50; in spike! Below is a link to its first blooming; it has had 1 better blooming since and this is the third time to bloom with it taking about 10-11 months to mature and bloom new growths
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38837
AyfRk19l.jpg

14. Phrag besseae flavum x3 plants--$50 package deal for all three plants. One of the three is not doing too great although it certainly does not look diseased nor like it will die, 1 is doing ok, 1 is doing quite well. Here are the best pictures I have of them blooming:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39379

15. Phragmipedium andreettae--$50 In bloom/spike as shown, looks like one more bud; 1 blooming growth, 1 tiny new start
0HSR6DOl.jpg

iUgqRPGl.jpg

16. Phragmipedium hirtzii--$50 In bloom/spike as shown; flower NS 17.5cm; right plant of the two
zPOwPfml.jpg

f7FjG0zl.jpg

17. Pragmipedium hirtzii--$40; as far as I can tell this has not bloomed, bought at the same time as the above plant, both from Peruflora, left plant of the two

18. Prag wallisii--$40; also from Peruflora; 1 old growth that has not bloomed but will not bloom; 1 BS growth
eCqLCbhl.jpg

19. Paph roth ‘black diamond’ x ‘Tarantula’ from Tokyo Orchid Nursery via Paphioland--$40 29.5cm LS
GdKPLIKl.jpg

20. Paph Addicted Phillip x Michael Koopowitz--$40; 1 BS/1NBS
zbPYutil.jpg

21. Paph roth ‘Rex’ x ‘Mont Milias’ Best’--$40; unbloomed, vigorous plant; 1 BS/2 new growths; 4” pot approx. 26” LS
ycEBJMAl.jpg

F2AOS9cl.jpg

22. Paph kolopakingii var topperi x gigantifolium--$40; 1 unbloomed old growth; 1 huge NBS or possibly BS growth; 5” aircone; tall vertical leaf is 3” wide and 25” tall
uuFvSvyl.jpg

Y7rr4K8l.jpg

23. Paph roth ‘Z2135’ x anitum ‘Bear’--$40; big plant in 5” aircone; 1 PB; 2 or 3 blooming sized growths; 1 or 2 NBS growths; 2 new growths; the PB growth blasted; I bought it as unbloomed but there is an old stump in the middle that certainly looks like it spiked at some point; but big healthy plant ready to put on a show once it starts throwing spikes
b85s8ffl.jpg

24. Paph adductum ‘MH-5’ x self--$40
HIvIWJRl.jpg

25. Paph stonei #1 x 2008--$40; 26” LS with each progressive leaf getting much wider
hiKIL4ml.jpg

6qB7SS6l.jpg

26. Paph liemianum ‘wide petal’ x roth ‘simba’--$35; In low spike!; 1PB/1 in spike/1 new growth; was a good flower on the first blooming the in spike growth is very nice and I anticipate this flowering to be an improvement
w7fiuIXl.jpg

TZpj4Y7l.jpg

27. Paph stonei ‘Jean’ x Kolosand ‘Windy Hill’--$30; 4” aircone
oSiNE75l.jpg

VSCEuGLl.jpg

28. Paph Dollgoldi (roth ‘Early Bird’ x armeniacum ‘Golden Globe’)—$30 1PB, 2 NBS, good flowers
ejXc3cUl.jpg

29. Paph Dollgoldi (roth ‘Early Bird’ x armeniacum ‘Golden Globe’)--$30 1PB, 1 new growth, better flowers than above and they lasted 3+ months
img

30. Paph stonei ‘bear’ x ‘giant’--$30; 1PB not under my care; 1 BS/ 1 new
CzNoGiJl.jpg

31. Paph Deperle--$25, super prolific, had 4 spikes last year, has 2 spikes just starting right now
W3rVkEPl.jpg

32. Paph Betty Glenn--$25 in spike/bloom, 1PB, 1 Blooming, 1 NBS, 1 new start
Here is the thread from its first blooming, followed by it right now:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33818
mRHsaVvl.jpg

33. Paph vietnamense--$25; growing well, each new leaf is getting much larger and wider
6KuqW2Ol.jpg

34. Paph (anitum x philippinense) x roth--$25; 1 PB, 1BS; link to 1st blooming, picture of current plant
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40309
Q2NZhhhl.jpg

35. Paph delenatii var album ‘Snow White’ x ‘As White as Virgin’--$20; in spike! Compact plant in 2.5” pot
Sj7TC1Jl.jpg

36. Paph PEOY ‘No 1’ x anitum ‘Chen’--$20
9A8lIDil.jpg

37. Paph sanderianum x anitum--$20; 3” pot NBS seedling
Q3T9xUpl.jpg

38. Paph Shin Yi Omar--$20; 2PB, 1 BS, 1 NBS, 1 new start, link to last blooming, picture of plant currently
8SsRhrYl.jpg

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40179

39. Mighty x Red Baron--$20; 1st bloom was 5.35/1.5/22; 1PB/2 new growths
majktxll.jpg

40. Paph Addicted Phillip (philippense x anitum)--$20; listing as the label says…
t3Jlh7gl.jpg

41. Paph lowii ‘Outreach’ x ‘Dark Secret’--$20; 1PB with good but not great flowers; 1BS growth
CDIztbwl.jpg

42. Chester Hill x Red Baron--$20; 1st bloom was 5.9/1.5/23; 1PB/1 good sized but floppy NBS; 6” pot
RI3fHg4l.jpg

Paph stonei seedlings; Justin’s breeding—super healthy and vigorous seedlings
43. stonei $15; 2 plants in 3” aircone; 17.5cm LS and 20.5cm LS
S4ESAyfl.jpg

44. $20; 6 plants in 4” aircone; biggest two have LS of 16.5 & 17.5cm
GYpeyHhl.jpg

45. Roth compot originally from Justin—these have not done as well as the stonei seedlings, I probably should have repotted them into the same mix I did the stonei; New Horizon x Raptor
$15; 7 babies in 4” pot
gLlxIybl.jpg

46. Paph gigantifolium seedling--$20; 40cm leafspan, needs to be repotted
f6KtLHel.jpg

47. Paph gigantifolium seedling--$15; 35cm, needs to be repotted
mAYcCCgl.jpg

48. Paph delenatii vini ‘Full Moon’ x ‘Purple Lantern’—$15; in spike; 2PB, 1 in spike
1v20h8sl.jpg

49. Paph Magic Lantern-$15, spike is fading but has one BS growth that looks like it might spike any day now
JP3ogtel.jpg

UoN4i7yl.jpg

50. Paph (Loco Bueno ’11-08’ x Hampshire Green Glass ’11-08’)--$15 1PB, 1 BS 27cm, nice compact green complex; looks like it is in very low spike
Nlt0UOPl.jpg

51. Paph Shin Yi Williams in full bloom--$15; 1PB/1 blooming/1NBS; 4cm DS
B43uw0pl.jpg

52. Chester Hill x Red Baron--$15; 1st bloom was 4.9/1.2/21; 1PB/1 new growth
4xRdJ8Xl.jpg

53. Paph sanderianum--$15 28cm LS
nf26uEel.jpg

54. Paph delenatii vini x normal--$15; 2PB; 1 in low spike
zz7zDn1l.jpg

55. Phrag Memoria Mariza Rolando--$15
iZU3Y4ll.jpg

56. Paph roth Gigantic x Perfection--$15
HNRRL3ll.jpg

57. Phrag Nicholle Tower--$15; 2PB/1BS that should spike soon; good but not great Nicholle tower, last flowering lasted over 6 months; very nice flowers but does has not branched yet
47A23Ahl.jpg

58. Phrag Eumelia Arias from Orchid Inn--$15; 1 old non-bloomed growth; 2 new/NBS growths
eno2TBjl.jpg

59. Paph philippenense ‘Super Twister x Alford’--$15; 1 40cm growth + new growth
FCkgw7Zl.jpg

60. Paph philippenense ‘Ching Hua’ x ‘Super Twister’--$15; 1BS + 2 new growths
OrBViibl.jpg

61. Paph Lady Isabel (roth ‘Raja Kumis’ x stonei ‘Cindy Hill’)--$15; 2 PB, 1 NBS spindly growth, 2 new growths that are rather spindly, neglected and didn’t get enough light but nice blooms last time as shown in the link:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38027

62. Paph (Lady Rothschild ‘Grace’ x gigantifolium ‘Hsinying’)--$15 40cm+ LS
j7UNFXql.jpg

Paph godefroyae: do not expect to receive with flowers
63. 1 flower plant $10—1PB, one in bloom, flower is now on its last legs; 8cm NS
64. 2 flowers plant $10—1PB, 2 in bloom, flowers are on their last legs; left flower 8cm NS; right flower 9cm NS
cMwrSm8l.jpg

VZI3k0Rl.jpg

KDwIqtdl.jpg

65. Paph lost tag--$10; 99% sure it is Paul Parks x gardeneri—hasn’t bloomed, 5 BS growths
Nj2F2Swl.jpg

66. Phrag besseae flavum x dalessandroi--$10; 1 tiny old PB growth; 1 strong BS growth; this plant was very much on the yellow side for this cross on its first bloom but pictures were lost on an old phone
m0Yulqol.jpg

67. Paph niveum x roth--$10; 2PB with deformed spikes, they arrived in spike and I think the shipping might have been part of the cause; 3BS growths that are much larger than the PB growths; multiple new growths
ROyF5snl.jpg

68. Phrag kovachii x richteri--$10; never been bloomed, relatively small growths for a kovachii cross so it is still probably NBS
IRVg2bUl.jpg

69. Paph liemianum x Johanna Burkhardt--$10; 1 PB, 1 BS, 1 TINY nub of a start
1Vh0iGkl.jpg

70. Paph Jolly Holiday--$10; 1 PB, 1 BS, 1 small new growth; the plant has gotten a little floppy so cheap despite it being a nice plant; link to PB growth’s blooming, picture of plant’s current state
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33821
pyiJUsPl.jpg

71. Paph chamberlainianum--$10; 1 PB (before I bought it), 1 NBS
r7fhtUPl.jpg

72. Paph primulinum var purpurascens--$10; 1 PB under my care but can’t find picture, good flower but not great; 1 BS
3ATmO9ql.jpg

73. Paph micranthum--$5; 1 blasted withered growth/1BS/2 new starts
vSxaZqyl.jpg

74. Paph lost tag—95% sure it is Hsinying Franz x Anitum--$5; 3” aircone
i3IoyPol.jpg

75. Phrag wallisii x Conchiferum--$5; blooming now but probably won’t last to shipping; had two spikes this year, 1 with 3 flowers, 1 with 4; some NBS growths
ctNpB60l.jpg

76. Paph roth ‘Revolution’ x ‘Mont Milais’--$5; 1 old unbloomed growth that will not bloom; 1 new growth
fmIxBtnl.jpg

77. Paph Prim-N-Proper ‘Ron’ x stonei ‘Jean’--$5; 3” aircone
SZgTW16l.jpg

78. Paph Chiu Hua Dancer--$5; nice but not great on first bloom; 1 PB, 1 new start
RGnOyT7l.jpg

79. Paph gardinerii--$5; 1 PB/1BS/1 new start; been neglected a little, needs repotting
JmBV1Usl.jpg

80. Phrag caudatum from Orchid Zone--$5; 1 old stub/1PB/1 new; first flowering is in this link:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38834
E6i4u5Il.jpg

81. Phrag Fireworks--$5; nice flowers, neglected plant probably needs repotting and I have definitely been keeping it too dry; 1 PB withering growth, 1 BS, 1 start
CeELUW9l.jpg

82. Paph armeniacum--$5; 1 PB; 1 BS; 2 new starts
MxEf80yl.jpg

83. Phrag kovachii from Littlefrog—hasn’t liked my temperatures but it has survived--$5
dPOChspl.jpg

84. Phrag Memoria Mariza Rolando—hasn’t liked my temperatures but it has survived--$5
aOfV5Q9l.jpg

85. Paph roth ‘Green Valley’ x ‘Dou Fang’--$5
hfkF8Mll.jpg

86. Brassia rex ‘Walomao Spotless’ FCC/AOS--$5, been neglected but doing ok and keeps putting out new growths so should recover quickly; picture of plant’s current condition and link to last blooming
nODJS1Ml.jpg

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34679

Tough to say goodbye to such an excellent collection but that is life and it sounds like you are making the right decision.

You did a great job growing those stonei! I am sure you will find a good home for them and all the rest of these high quality plants.

11. Paph roth ‘Knight Sunshine’ x ‘Tarantula’ from Tokyo Orchid Nursery via Paphioland--$50 40cm LS
19. Paph roth ‘black diamond’ x ‘Tarantula’ from Tokyo Orchid Nursery via Paphioland--$40 29.5cm LS

46. Paph gigantifolium seedling--$20; 40cm leafspan, needs to be repotted
47. Paph gigantifolium seedling--$15; 35cm, needs to be repotted

83. Phrag kovachii from Littlefrog—hasn’t liked my temperatures but it has survived--$5

I will take these and pay you now via paypal is that is acceptable. I would like to add some more and make it worth your time but I didnt want someone to snatch these first

I'll take:
9. Paph Shun Fa Golden--$60; 1 PB, 2 NBS
12. Phrag (kovachii x (kovachii x schlimii ‘Hercules’))--$50; 40cm+ leafspan on the bigger plants
23. Paph roth ‘Z2135’ x anitum ‘Bear’--$40; big plant in 5” aircone; 1 PB; 2 or 3 blooming sized growths; 1 or 2 NBS growths; 2 new growths; the PB growth blasted;
36. Paph PEOY ‘No 1’ x anitum ‘Chen’--$20
37. Paph sanderianum x anitum--$20; 3” pot NBS seedling
55. Phrag Memoria Mariza Rolando--$15
68. Phrag kovachii x richteri--$10; never been bloomed, relatively small growths for a kovachii cross so it is still probably NBS
80. Phrag caudatum from Orchid Zone--$5; 1 old stub/1PB/1 new;

I will also pay now via paypal if you like.

I live in Dallas and would be interested in,

45, 53, 56, 59 and 60.

I would be interested in more, but I am also being careful about space until next spring when I might be making a move.

It would have to be a weekend, but if I can help with packing and shipping plants- happy to do so. I am fairly new to the forum here, but have been growing a very long time and have sold/shipped orchids at shows in the past- so I know the drill.

Best of luck to you.

PS- thinking on this, members of the forum- if some of you want to pitch in with me and buy this collection for $1,000 as originally offered, I am happy to take delivery here in Dallas provided I can ship plants out to people within two weeks (US shipping only.)

As long as there is non-overlapping interest in most of the stock, I will volunteer to take on that task. I will front $300 with the expectation I get the 5 plants listed in my reply post plus other things based on whatever other people want/don't want.

Fairly new here- but a grower for 35 years now and there are trade people on this forum who can vouch for me.

The mechanics would be like this- a few of us iron out 80%-90% of the split of plants (or all if we can do so quickly), I pay Denver $1,000 so he has his money and can move on, and then once he confirms he has his money from me (and publicly indicates as such in this thread), I retrieve the plants, the other buyers pay me and I ship. As noted above, I can provide references to vouch for me- and may request the same of others based on forum history, as needed.

Tough to say goodbye to such an excellent collection but that is life and it sounds like you are making the right decision.

You did a great job growing those stonei! I am sure you will find a good home for them and all the rest of these high quality plants.

thanks Justin, I'm sure I'll be back someday...maybe not quite as large of a collection unless I actually get a greenhouse...

I've gotten a bunch of PMs as well as the replies in here. I will provide an updated status of the plants tomorrow.

#44 what are they $20
#45 roth compot $15
#64 Paph godefroyae $10
#73Paph micranthum $5
#75 Phrag wallisii x Conchiferum $5
#78 paph chiu hua dancer $5
I will pay via paypal if that is okay

Latest posts

Back