Is this glaucophyllum or primulinum purpurascens?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JHatfld

Hello everyone. I'm Jeff and I'm a new member from Maryland. Can anyone help me identify this Paph. (see photo)? I've had it for 20 yrs and think it is either glaucophyllum or primulinum purpurascens. I worked through a detailed description of both spp. (sent to me by Troy Meyers) and I think it's primulinum purpurascens, not glaucophyllum. The leaves and flowers are not as large as glaucophyllum is supposed to have, and the apex does not have a small tooth between the lobes. I have a yellow primulinum flavum too and it does have hairs near the base of the leaves while the pink-pouched one in the photo does not. I've crossed the 2 individuals (seedlings produced by Troy) and, of the seedlings, half have hairs near the base and half are smooth near the base of the leaves. My pink-pouched parent has a green dorsal sepal like primulinum, not white or cream. Also, the pouch is yellow at the base like primulinum, not white or greenish white. Thus, I think it more closely resembles primulinum purpurascens than glaucophyllum. Also, the flower of the seedling looks nearly identical to the pink-pouched parent, except that the seedling has green lines on the dorsal sepal while the pink pouched parent has purplish lines. Troy wanted me to ask the forum the identity of this individual and, if it's primulinum purpurascens, then he may offer seedlings of the cross I made with the yellow flavum. I'm also planning to cross the pink-pouched seedling back to the yellow parent to see if I can get some yellow pouches. Jeff Hatfield

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a picture of the flower?

The flowers are quite distinct.

Glauc flowers have vertical stripes in the dorsal sepal and primulinum var. purp has no stripes or spots.

The flower and blooming size plant of glaucophylum is considerably larger than primulinum too.

I have supplied seed of both primulinum var purp and glaucophylum to Troy from pretty obvious parents. So maybe you can link to the photo of the parent flower.

Yes, but I can't seem to get it uploaded

Are you going direct off the ST website? That upload handles only very small files.

I've only be able to attach (basic copy/paste) links from external sites like Photobucket (which I use) or Flickr

If you have Troy's site up and running try copy/paste from your browser line into your ST reply

If it is really a species and the flower is rather big, I would vall the plant moquettianum

Jeff

That looks like a "glaucophyllum" I had about 10 years ago. Originally purchased from Andys orchids

Arguably, with the stripes broken up like this, it could have been called 'moquettianum'. It was definitely bigger than any of my primulinums, but it was also easy to stunt.

What is the leaf span?

But it doesn't look like primulinum. I'll see if I can find a post of my primulinum for comparison

Leaves are 6-8" long

A 16" span plant is way bigger than primulinum can get to be.

Do you still know the parent info on your plant?

It looks like the flower I had a ways back (which I did self and send seed to Troy probably 10 years ago).

As noted this plant was easy to stunt for me back then.

Wow, that looks exactly like the flowers of the seedling of my pink-pouched individual with primulinum flavum. My yellow primulinum is a larger plant than your purpurascens though, with leaves 6-8" long but smaller flowers than my pink-pouched one. I made the back cross today, and am hoping for larger flowers but all yellow rather than pink pouch. Guess Troy won't want them though

I lost the label of my pink-pouched individual but got it at Kensington Orchids in DC 20-25 years ago

Here's the seedling from crossing the pink-pouched parent with primulinum flavum. Seedlings also have leaves 6-8" long.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 20
https://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/photo.php?id=2647

Here's the pic of my "glaucophyllum var. moquetianum" that I selfed in 2003.

Looks a lot like your flower Jeff.

I purchased it from Andy's as glaucophyllum. But it is obviously not the traditional glauco with solid smooth stripes in the dorsal. There's a lot of variation and arguing about "true moquetianum" versus hybrids with glauco, and / or whether or not moquetianum is a true species or variety of glauco.

Most of the real "type" like moquetianum are much less spotted, and have rows of small even spaced dots in the dorsal. And frequently they can be quite large plants (bigger than a type specimen) of glauco. I think breeding direction in moquetianum has been to push for less and less spotting (and size) to differentiate it from glaucophyllum and all the versions that seem to be intergrades between the two.

But over the years I've noted that both glauco and moquetianum have been easy to stunt in my collection.

Latest posts

Back