Is this an orchid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This little flowering plant pop up on the westside of my house a couple of weeks ago. To me, it looks like an orchid but not sure. Normally I would of never noticed it but this past winter we had freezing weather killing off most of our bedding plants. I noticed it while pulling out dead stuff. It's not in an easy location to photo graph well. Any ideas?
p1030533k.jpg

p1030536k.jpg

p1030538j.jpg

this should be one IMO, according to the shape of the blooms:dorsal and 2 lat. sepals, and lip in brown, the petals under the dorsal!!?? But no idea of id! Jean

:clap: :rollhappy: India?! Isn't that a riot - it survived a Texas freeze and how did it get in your back yard?

I've read stories where the seed of this orchid is transported in potting soil. It apparently has spread throughout Florida and several southern states. Not surprised that it would pop up in a planting bed.

Very Cool! I would not mind having that "weed" grow in my lawn! I will trade you some dandelions for it.

Robert

hmmm, zeuxine looks an awful lot like spiranthes

I see the resemblance too. Same tribe (Cranichideae) different subtribes (Zeuxine in Goodyerinae, Spiranthes in Spiranthinae) in one classification, so Zeuxine is apparently closer to the jewel orchids. Not sure if there are competing theories. Maybe some crosses of Zeuxine with Macodes or Anoectochilus would give jewel orchids that grow like weeds?

A nice weed! We have lots of Epipactis helleborine as exotics up north here but few other exotics will survive. Of course, if seed from some exotic Asian Cypripediums should blow over, I would not be too unhappy!

Ron

Wow, Thanks you all. That was a fast answer. I don't think I'll be able to remember Zeuxine stratuematica. Is there common name other"weed"?:crazy:

Latest posts

Back