Is there such a thing as overuse of probiotics?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Multi Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that excess kelp can lead to deformities, but are there any benefits or drawbacks to more frequent use of Inocucor or similar products? Setting aside cost as a factor, is there any particular reason why once monthly is the recommended application? Intuitively it seems to me that there could be benefits to more frequent use much like using fertilizer in low amounts at every watering versus one big hit a month.

That’s a very good question. Fertilizers and kelp extracts are adding “chemicals”, while probiotics are living colonies, although their secretions can probably be considered to be “chemicals”, as well. However, while you can keep pouring on the others, I imagine the microbes are, to some degree, “self limiting” in their populations, hence the concentration of their secretions is also limited.

I have reached out to the technical director of Ecological Labs, in the hope that he can provide an explanation I can understand!

Here’s the answer I got about overdosing probiotics:

Not in most cases no, however It may be possible to over treat via foliar spray applications especially if using our humic based formulations like QUANTUM/TOTAL or QUANTUM/VSC due to potential humic related foliar burn.

In root drench applications, this should not be an issue of concern as the growth rate of microorganism "as you make note" will be regulated by the available organic carbon within the rhizosphere, and by the plants exudate-production, as released as carbon
.”

Latest posts

Back