Is OZ still in Business?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it was nursery production. He was able to make many deals with people and there were many flasks and stud plants around. He just was not following up financially with people. :mad:

Pity. I am going to be in the area at the end of June and checking out the greenhouse would have been cool. Everything will probably be dead/cleared out by then.

Explains a fair bit of the piss poor service and plants John was selling, but no one has shared his "source" so until anything factual comes to light it is ALL rumor.

As for legal MMJ.... at least here in WA state, the profit margin is so slim it is not even funny. Why anyone would go into it at this stage (in this state anyways) is beyond me. I know more fools pumping money to keep their business alive then raking in big bucks. Everyone assumes weed = easy money. Those are folks whom have never been in the business legal or otherwise. I do not know the situation in Cali that well, but IF Terry was going that way in lieu of orchids I would love to hear his reasoning. Doesn't seem sound to me, but what do I know!?

Cheers
JAB

Somebody needs to grab up those flasks of next gen roths! Anyone in the area! They'd be worth a small fortune. All that breeding, for nothing

I made some inquiries. I was told all has already been put in the trash.

Yes. I was looking at renting a van or truck and willing to pay a fair price for remaining stock and was told it's already gone.

Explains a fair bit of the piss poor service and plants John was selling, but no one has shared his "source" so until anything factual comes to light it is ALL rumor.

Cheers
JAB

Hey want to buy some plants at OZ?! :rolleyes:
I know where some flasks and stud plants have gone. But,...
I would be going through the trash if I was there!

Last edited:
The place is not going into cannabis. Most of the houses were told to me that they personally cleared them. Every big name vendor knows what has been going on and running there to save anything. Most came to find the gate locked. People have been caught stealing them in the middle of the night by Terry. So who knows what's left. The property with the actual structured greenhouses is for rent from John as of yesterday but he is still MIA. I have had no luck with him directly in over a month. Many people are upset. Us probably even more so. It is officially closed at this point and the remaining plants are part of a legal process so I comment lightly.

Terry is moving on. Berries of some kind in the shade houses.
He has zero interest in the plants and they technically no longer belong to him anyways. If he did care about the hobby any longer he would have stepped in sooner to save things. He has many other passions and he is obviously terrific and extreme with them. Unfortunately, the orchids breeding is now stories and remaining plants here and there.
I suggest, get what you can and ask to see the roots before purchasing anything.

John if you read this it is not to spite you but to inform us of what is really going on. We care more for Terry's breeding than you could possibly imagine. I wish you felt the same.

Just to be clear, did they tell you it "was already gone" or
"put in the trash"?

I'm wondering if the genetics have been destroyed or simply dispersed.

Both. A lot was already cleared out. I think mostly sold or some given away. I'm not sure how much of each. The rest I was told was thrown away.

What a scumbag. :mad:

Who? John or Terry?

I'm struggling a bit to follow all this. Who is at fault.

So did John run into financial problems and has now been declared bankrupt. As a result John has been locked out of the glasshouses as they are owned by Terry? Terry no longer has an interest in the orchids so he is prepared to let them die?

The whole thing is a tragedy for us Paph growers. We all lose when one the major breeders closes down.

Yeah, I'm very unclear as to what was the deal and what part, or parts fell apart. When John took over, I just presumed that he bought the plants and property....the whole business. I had no idea that Terry had anything to do with OZ at that point....so, I was surprised to learn that he's been in the picture all along in some fashion and I'm even more surprised to learn that he would allow the plant stock to suffer and be lost. I get the feeling that there is still a lot more to this than we know yet. Still....all very disappointing and even devastating for the orchid community.

Just a quick update with all these rumors swirling. John is stepping off into other exciting adventures and has kindly passed the collection on to me as I have acquired what was the complete orchidzone collection. We wish him the best of luck.
This is a time of transition for the collection. More information will be forthcoming. Please do not just show up at the orchid zone during this time as it is private property. Thanks.

Just a quick update with all these rumors swirling. John is stepping off into other exciting adventures and has kindly passed the collection on to me as I have acquired what was the complete orchidzone collection. We wish him the best of luck.
This is a time of transition for the collection. More information will be forthcoming. Please do not just show up at the orchid zone during this time as it is private property. Thanks.

well, good luck

A glimmer of hope!? After 9 pages of bad news, I welcome this a great deal. However, please be forthcoming with more details a.s.a.p.

So, are you saying that none of the OZ stock died or went into the trash? But rather, you have bought it all and you are planning to keep the business going? If yes.......WOOHOO! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back